Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
walter dix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: walter dix Reply with quote

hello again everyone.

I like to open my season by discussing a certain walter dix who ran 19.69 at the ncaa regionals. Again another unbelievable performance yet again in the 200m by an american.

Although I was aware that this chap could be another pretender to the throne oneday, I never expected something this fast this soon.
Saying that I never expected carter to do what he did last year.

With Gay, carter, spearmon, dix and lashawn merritt also running under 20 it seems the world 200m final is all sewn up by the americans although bolt (19.96 this year) will have something to say about that.

The cynic in me still thinks MJ's record is out of reach despite these splendid specimens and the times they are capable of. Maybe good conditions and a fast track plus these guys pushing each other a 19.5 run cannot be ruled out.

MJ's 19.32 is so out of this world that a 19.5 time seems quite tame although we are all aware that is not the case.

I'm looking forward to the outcome of the US finals next month.

The 100m though seems at this moment a one horse race in the us with tyson gay showing impressive form (9.79w) and could give powell some trouble this year. He was the only guy getting close last year and I feel he can pull off a double as long as he stays fit.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote a nice article on the topic recently:

http://www.hellenicathletes.com/news.php?news_id=271

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, echoes my sentiments exactly.

It is arguably the most competitive event in track and field today and the best ever 200m lineup in history.

As I said earlier I still feel despite these awesome athletes and their sensational times they will be hard pressed to beat the world record but this still does not detract from the fact that they have accomplished a lot in this event especially Gay and spearmon who have shown great consistency since last season and are carrying it through this season.

Gay does look capable of taking over the mantle of Lewis as the only american who can go on to dominate both sprints.

I will reserve my judgement on carter and merrit at the moment on being able to emulate MJ as wariner is still looking unbeatable in the 400.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency and depth ... tough to bet against that, even with the seemingly unbeatable record. With lots of guys running fast every time out, it just takes one magical day...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does and then watching Gay last week it was amazing how fast he was - just so explosive - he may make me eat my words. I had always though of Gay as more of a 200 Meter guy who did the 100...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same about dix too until seeing the ncaa result which shows hin winning in a smooth 9.93 with a nil-wind and a comfortable margin.

Earlier I was saying gay is currently the only guy who can emulate carl lewis as dominant in both sprints. Enter walter dix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: