Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAMMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Qucik query - Bislett has women's 5000m instead of 3000m. Is it part of the comp, as it would be for GP points?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh boy, we never came to a real conclusion on that... For the 1500/mile, my leaning was toward counting it and converting one to the other for scoring purposes (the program I wrote scores events automatically based on distance). I'm not sure that can be done very well for the 3k/5k, so we may have to count those as separate events.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SAMMA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a look at the proposed schedules for each meet and the breakdown looks like this

Women:
3 x 5000m and 5 x 3000m (and no info for Rieti)
Men:
5x5000m and 1 x 3000m and one undecided (and no info for Rieti)

Given the IAAF recognises categorises the 2 events together for GP points and for rankings it does seem a little unfair to ignore one or the other for competition purposes.

That's my thoughts anyway.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what I said above, how would you propose combining such disparate events that cannot easily be converted in terms of comparable performances? At any rate, your numbers indicate that the chosen fantasy events cover the majority of those that will be contested on the circuit.

Also, here's a quote from the FAQ page:
Quote:
It is up to the contestant to decide which athletes are most valuable based on the meets and events to be participated in and the scoring system. You may want to go with as many big names as you can afford, or you may choose to research specific athletes to determine which meets they tend to participate and do well in.

In other words, buyer beware... It's really not much different than selecting a sprinter that may run either the 100 or 200 any given week. All part of the game. Smile

Dan

p.s. I assume I'm talking to Andre?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, since the IAAF GL and GP put 3000m and 5000m together we should treat them as the same event, since the ponts scored in the two are added sumed together according to the IAAF rules. It is the same thing as 1500/mile races. Smile
PS I did choose Jolanda Ceplak, in the end it wasn't 'that' difficult to guess though, her first name being Jolanda, her nationality being Slovenia and her price beng quite high! I wanted her in my roster, I got her Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still doesn't address what to do as far as scoring the performances...

Regarding Ceplak, all I can say is good sleuthing. With a completely different first letter in her last name, I never saw it...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: