Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Fantasy Track & Field League

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If she runs the 1500 and the 3000 in the same meet do I get points for both? I selected her from the 1500 list.

No, you would get points just for her 1500. I don't see any reliable or accurate way to take into account event doublers other than to require them to be selected to your roster for each applicable event. The IAAF ranking lists don't really take into account how often or with what success an athlete doubled, only the overall value of their performances in the multiple events. That means their ranking in one or more events might be much higher than deserved based on any given meet, but to allow an athlete to be selected once to a roster for multiple events would require:

a) add the IAAF points for a combined purchase price for all events they participated in
b) allow them to be selected by the purchase points for any one of their events.

Option 'a' makes scoring the meets more difficult and makes a real mess of comparitive worth of athletes (how do you know if it's worth paying double for someone that may not double in the meets we selected?), whereas option 'b' also mucks up the valuation of athletes (a doubler is suddenly worth more than a single event person) and complicates things by making the same athlete cheaper to purchase in one event than another.

The way it is set up now limits things to one athlete-event pairing. Nothing to complicate the pricing which is already tricky enough. Much simpler. For someone obsessed with simplicity, I would think you'd appreciate that more than anyone! Wink

Real world training...? Had a bad go of it last week, but I'm going to head out in a few minutes and see if I can turn that around...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't done my roster yet ... Guess I better get off the stick .. Smile ... Training going slow ... Been very busy the last couple of weeks ... But that should not be an excuse .. Will get on it .. Thanks for the prod !!! Smile ... Will try to get my roster together before the day is out ... Got lots to do today still ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider: Szabo ranked 4th in the 1500m last yet, yet she arguably wouldn't have run it at all if not for the World Championships, an event which does not take place this year. How would a combined pricing list take that into account?

On a different note, people might want to play coy with their roster selections. Scout what is available and what you can afford, but don't tip your hat on the trial run with your actual choices until it's about time to lock down the rosters for the real deal in about 7 months. Someone might think you're an expert and try to duplicate your selections. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of letting athletes double because it is more like the real world but I understand the problems with the pricing. So I can handle one event per athlete.

How do we make adjustments to our roster? When I was choosing mine I tried to take someone off but she stayed there.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I was choosing mine I tried to take someone off but she stayed there.

Did you submit the form after making changes?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I didn't. I tried again and it worked this time.

By the way, are all those names listed as being involved real people? If you guys are real it would be nice to hear your input on the fantasy league and some of our other topics. Jump in...the water's fine!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the names is fake (you can figure out which!), and the rest are all real people (until there are results/scores entered to change the default sort order, which is currently alphabetical by first name (was by user ID)).

I sent a message out to the old Run-Down Contest mailing list yesterday, informing everyone of the new Fantasy T&F League and this thread in the forum. Of the 250 addresses I sent it to, about 40 were bounced back as no longer valid, so that leaves 200+ people that now know of it and will hopefully chime in. Smile I'll announce it to the t-and-f list shortly, but my last messasge I sent never showed up, so I'm not sure if it's functioning this weekend...

Dan

(edited to reflect that all but one of the fake initial names have been removed)

[ This Message was edited by: Dan on 2001-10-29 22:42 ]
ASAMMA
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this comp is looking great... and trawling through your discussion has killed a good half hour at work this morning...

I am very keen to enter... would be happy to chuck a few $$ in...

Couple of queries (I may have missed some stuff on scanning the posts):
1. how many athletes am i allowed?
2. what about athletes who dropped off lists last year but will be back e.g. C.Freeman?

Anyway great work,

Andre (from melbourne, AUS)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andre,

Nice to hear from you. Smile It's been a while...

There is no limit on the number of athletes you may select. I figure that makes it more fun, as your strategy is completely up to you. The points available are determined by multiplying the number of events (14) by two athletes per event by the average price per athlete (~1600). If you think you know of some low priced athletes that are likely to do well this year, then you coudl grab 2 people in each event. Alternatively, you could get one person ranked roughly #3 in each of the 14 events and bank on them doing well again. In the 'test user' account I added, I selected something like 63 athletes from the very low priced women's high jump and long jump lists! Odds are none of them would score a point in a GP or Golden League meet... Wink

The number of points available is certainly open to discussion. Although the average athlete is about 1600 points, the average of any worth is probably closer to 2000. I'm putting together an admin utility to update everyone's cash available with one click in the event the limit is raised.

I'm also starting to put together some help/documentation, and one of the things I added is a rule that in the event of a tie at the end of the contest, the tie break goes to the player with the least spent on their roster. More selections give you a better chance of scoring, but the possibility of a list of ringers and 500 points unused adds an additional layer of strategy... Smile

As far as your second question, that's something I've thought about a bit, but don't really have a good answer for. I can think of three possibilities:

1) Leave them out of the game. This messes up the values of other athletes in those events, as the 2001 rankings for them become overly inflated.
2) Add them in with their 2000 rankings, if available.
3) For those [probably] few cases, we can have a vote or something on what their purchase price should be relative to those already included.

I'm open to suggestions, of course. Thanks for the feedback! Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good thoughts ... With respect to those athletes who were out and come back, perhaps we could assign a minimum point value based on a previous year's iaaf points ... Perhaps 80% of those points or something ... I say that as they may not be at the same level .. For example if we had done this a year ago and Inger Miller were coming back she defniitely did not perform at 100% of her previous year's level ... But then of course if someone had chosen her that would have lessened their overall team ... So perhaps having said that it may be just as easy to rank them based on previous year of competition .. Would be simple and risky perhaps !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre already mentioned Cathy Freeman. One other I thought of is Christine Arron. CJ Hunter? Wink

Quote:
For example if we had done this a year ago and Inger Miller were coming back she defniitely did not perform at 100% of her previous year's level ...

Of course, if done a year ago, Inger would have had a ranking from the previous year ('99), and we wouldn't have known the difficult 2001 season she had ahead of her...

I think we should stick to the rankings of the previous year for any athletes that competed to avoid trying to outsmart the system. Smile I'm sure many people will look at Inger's low rankings from last year and consider her a bargain, but with 2 seasons of injuries and a "drug" issue (bah, it's just caffeine!) hanging over her head, does anyone really know what to expect from her this year? There are a few others I've noticed in the lists that may well bounce back from off years and prove to be excellent roster additions. Same for some up and comers like Goucher, who's both a) young and improving, and b) coming back from injury.

For those that did not compete in 2000 and have no IAAF ranking, I think your idea of assigning a purchase price of 80% of their 1999 ranking (if available) is a good one. Makes them available for selection and at a level that doesn't make them quite as much of a gamble, although Freeman then becomes a steal most likely...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then I think I am rady to select my teamn ... Sounds like we have a good system in place ... Tell all your frineds about it !!!
ASAMMA
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as an FAQ is up i'll be happy to post a promo to the Australian t-and-f list...

i'm sure you'll end up with quite a field...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. I just posted something to the t-and-f list about it, which you probably saw. No responses yet, but several people have set up accounts.

It isn't quite an FAQ, but I've added a popup help window, titled "About", that is linked at the bottom of each page. It covers some of the main items, but could definitely use being expanded upon for the purposes of overall documentation. If anyone can think of obvious oversights in the area of explaning things, please let me know.

A less than obvious aspect of the popup help window in its current use is that it is context sensitive (it's an approach I use for my other programs). It can be accessed in a way that provides just the help item for the appropriate situation, based on how it is linked to, with an option to view all the help items. I don't currently have any plans to use it this way within the program, but as (if) it grows in scope, that may turn out to be of value.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the post on the Track list ... Let's hope we get lots of people signing up ... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: