Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Who was the greatest American runner of all time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone in any track and field discipline accomplished more than Geb has (retired or active) ???

I think that is a very important angle to look at the matter from. There's no real way we can assign meaning to the question of who was the greatest across events, let alone across generations. However, we can get closer to asking if anyone has done more than a particular athlete, as that removes the need for direct comparison, which is roughly impossible. Wink

DG, I agree distance dominance for someone like Geb is easier than doing the same in the sprints. He can dominate off any tactic, but sprinting does not afford such luxuries. Maurice can win off good starts or bad starts, but only because he has superior speed and does not get rattled. It's not like he chooses to start slow and wait until 60m to kick it in...

Micah, go easy on that brain! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the floor. Now that Khalid K has set a world record in the marathon as an American, should he be considered for greatest American runner of all time? I think he makes the list, and I don't want to get into the entire is he an American or not arguement. Just looking at what he has done since he got his citizenship, does he merit consideration. What about his career as a whole including what he did running for Morocoo.

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as an American he has really only had the one race .. Many Americans have in the past set WRs .. So that in itself wouldn't put him there (whether you consider him American or not) .. He would have to have a carrer that was of high quality with some accomplishments .. At least in my book ..
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, on the other hand Billy Mills really only ran one good race (on a world class level anyway) and I think he makes most peoples top 5. Of coarse he did have that race in the Olympics, the biggest stage in our sport. But, KK did beat the guy many people consider the greatest of all time Wink

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I've met Billy Mills - he lives here in Northern California .. And he is really a very ince guy .. But he would be the first to tell you he wasn't one of the 5 best ever ... Now he is proud of what he did .. But it was an isolated kind of thing .. For me to talk about all time greats there has to be some consistency of performance to go with some outstanding things ..
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a can of worms. I am really torn on this one. Based on performance I do not put KK as best ever...yet. But if he gives 5-6 more years of wins on the world stage what do we say then? Back to the other thread concerning citizenship...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to hear Billy Mills speak a few years ago and was very impressed. He's one of the most inspirational and entertaining people I've run across.

KK at least deserves mention for the category now, but I agree a bit more is needed to put him over the top (citizenship merit debate aside).

-----------------

Ok, as soon as I hit "Submit," this is the last you'll hear of me until Sunday at the earliest. We're heading off in the morning for our conference track meet, so you're on your own for a few days. Be good! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck at the meet. The daughter ran the 10K last weekend at her Conference meet and it was one of those bad days. I hope your guys do well!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of bragging, let's just say it went very, very well for us (Willamette).

Code:
Men's Team Scores
1  Willamette University   254
2  Linfield College        165.50
3  Pacific Lutheran U      141.50
4  Whitworth College       100
5  George Fox University    88
6  Lewis & Clark College    40
7  U of Puget Sound         17
8  Pacific University        8
9  Whitman College           0

Women's Team Scores
1  Willamette University   225
2  Pacific Lutheran U      141
3  Whitworth College       138
4  George Fox University   132
5  U of Puget Sound         62.50
6  Linfield College         55.50
7  Lewis & Clark College    40
8  Pacific University       13
9  Whitman College          10

I think we only graduate 18 of those points on the men's side...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. But how did the sprinters do ?? Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, the peanut gallery's getting feisty this morning. Smile

Here are the full results:

http://www.run-down.com/bearcats/results/tf_conf_02.php

The formatting kinda sucks, but I'm hoping to have a more legible copy to post sometime today (same URL). Our top male sprinter has had a rough season and missed the 100m final by one spot, but we managed to get two guys in the final still, which is the best we've managed in at least 4 years. No representation in the men's 200 final, but we knew that was our weakest shot going in... Decent showing in the men's 400, although the finals weren't as kind to us as the prelim (try running a 0.6 second season best/pr for both guys, one of them on a pulled hammy, and see how much you have left for the final). The women did very well in the 400 (2 lifetime bests and one very close) and were very good in the prelims in the 100 and 200 but ran out of gas in the finals.

All in all, it was a solid showing by the sprinters. Still nowhere near where we want to be (the men's distance group averaged a whopping 21 points per event with only one win (we took 2nd in the other 4 distance events and the winner of each is a senior...)), but much closer to "the goal" then we've been in recent years. Everyone is back next year with the possible exception of one of my relay guys (our top 100m guy this season), who has a year of eligibility left but is iffy if he'll be able to come back to use it.

All caught up now? Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Or as we would say down here in the southern climes:

"YA'LL DONE GOOD!!!"
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

If I'm not mistaken, those titles were the school's first for men since '87 and first for women since '79, so that was a pretty dramatic step up.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby there .. Solid team .. I want your sprinters for a week though Wink
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I notice you have a Micah on your team. He's got to be an outstanding individual with a name like that!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: