Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Lance Armstrong finishes NYC Marathon in under 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Lance Armstrong finishes NYC Marathon in under 3 Reply with quote

...barely (2:59:36). Apparently he was having trouble with shin splints and running over 3-hour pace until he pushed it in the last 5 miles to break 3.

Here is part of the news article on
http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1555196,00.html
----------------------
The week before the race, Armstrong told the AP, "I've been training some, but I wouldn't call it serious. It's just something to fill a void in my life after I quit competing as a professional cyclist."

That approach may have come back to haunt him.

"I think I bit off more than I could chew. I thought the marathon would be easier," he said on Sunday. "(My shins) started to hurt in the second half, especially the right one. I could barely walk up here, because the calves are completely knotted up."
----------------------

So yeah... he didn't look too tired at the end on TV, so I definitely think he'll have more in him if he does any more marathons in the future.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense that his legs would be the weak link, being a top tier endurance athlete accustomed to low impact. Heck, he probably could have prepared for the marathon simply by doing a few months of jump rope!

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read an article in the newspaper that said that was his biggest problem - he didn't train for the actual running part and wasn't used to being on the hard ground that long (his longest training run was only 16 :S)
PeterJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
... by doing a few months of jump rope!
Dan

It sounds as it could also help ordinary runners? Are there other exercises to strenghten the ankle joint?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shin splints tubing resistance exercises discussed in the Running Tips section will help with that area.

Dan
PeterJ
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
The shin splints tubing resistance exercises discussed in the Running Tips section will help with that area.
Dan
Maybe my question was leading in the wrong direction. According to our coach, one of the important aspects is how you push off, when the leg/foot has reached its "end" position. The time you are in the air without contact to the ground makes the step length (and this is totally different to setting a large step). This push off capability seems to come from the muscles from the ankle joint.
But the only exercises we do are jumps from various positions, and this we do very rarely. So I wonder if rope jumping could help here. May be I should check out training tips from basketball.

Peter
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Any quick jumping activity should help with that. Drills, jump rope, box jumps, single leg hops, etc.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wanted to, he could possibly win a marathon, but I think that he is doing this just for kicks: to be happy. However, he does not want to look bad. Therefore, his great effort within the last 5 miles in spite of pain to finish in less than 3 hours is understandable.
Myself: if I am going to run a marathon, I will run once in my life, at most-- I am one of those guys who would end up with two plastic knees by the age of 45, if I became serious about running long distance: I pound the ground, and I am not too-well coordinated; plus the most complex rhythm that I have ever been able to dance to 1:2 (it did not matter how quick: English Waltz or Lambada -- I can feel no rhythm, but I can shake it Wink ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: