Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Hope this does not turn into an injury thread...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Hope this does not turn into an injury thread... Reply with quote

I started having this pain yesterday in my foot... ugh kind of worries me it di not hurt when I ran but it hurts when I flex my foot - its a pain along the top of the foot - not sure how to describe it more sharp than dull but I bailed on doing a run today and its bothering me.

I plan on going out tomorrow and seeing whats up but its got me concerned (undertandably)

Yes I realize this is very disjointed but I am not really sure how to describe it... it seems to be along the meta tarsal region from the second tow in from the little one. flexing my foot causes the pain along th etop but I do not feel it in the base of the foot so I was able to run on it yesterday - walking can hurt a littel with teh flexion of th efoot so I was afariad of it throwing off my stride and cauing injury from over compensation...

Anyone have a clue what it could be?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be a bone bruise of some sort. I'd ice it down several times a day and see if it subsides on its own with a bit of rest.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to even suggest this but that is the very spot where I had two stress fractures. I remember the pain as being on the top and center of the foot and very sharp if I squeezed the foot.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting to this, Micah. That was going to be the first thing I was going to suggest. Rule out the possibility of a stress fracture with an MRI or bone scan. If that comes up negative, then some aggressive icing might help. I had a foot problem in the winter of 2004. The fascia tissue had come loose from my 2nd metatarsal. I was off for 6 weeks. My doctor, a leading sports chiropractor in the area, thought for sure I had a stress fracture, but an MRI came back negative. The foot is certainly a complicated mechanism. The smallest problem can cause a lot of pain.
If it is a stress fracture, then that ends the marathon quest, of course. But it is worth easing your mind with the tests.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is exactly what I thought it was as soon as it happened which was really upsetting since my training has been going pretty well - yeah I know I owe you guys a long post on what has been going on the consistancy was pretty good for a while but the last few weeks for a variety of reasons it has been going very oddlyly varying between 65 and 45 miles big swing I know - some personal issues just stuff that had to be done family wise and then this weekend with the little injury tweak I have still gotten the long runs in but just their placement has been odd...

Anyway I got through 6 with no issues this morning - if it hurts tomorrow then I will for sure get to the doctor - I may go anyway...
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I had a bit of a false alarm there but boy was that a bit scary... must have been some type of bruise or something as you though Dan... Running has been decent although work has just crushed my training plan I was still getting close to 50 miles fitting things in when I could had some real good tempo type work for a bit and kept the long runs in... So the plan went a but hay wire - but now that I am out here in the Pacific Northwest for my fellowship these two weeks its not bad - of course work is interfereing when it can but I try not to let it... Hoping to shoot back up to 70 miles per week the next two weeks while I am here...

been all rain though and warmer than it was back home which was a bit surprising I guess and hey who put my hotel on the top of a hill... haha

Trying to figure out what to do this weekend now I have not heard much from the group here so maybe we are free - I heard there is a race here on the UW campus - but I have races the next two weeks as well so not sure if its a good idea

Anyway hopefully I will be able to get some updates in a bit more frequently and hope you all are doing well!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!

Quote:
must have been some type of bruise or something as you though Dan...

I'm telling you, I'm the injury encyclopedia...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: