Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Stomach Troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kim
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Stomach Troubles Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to running, and am very stoked about the satisfyingness of logging my progress. Every day I have gone further and faster, until.... One day about a month ago, and every day since, after about 20 minutes of moderate running, my stomach starts to expand and feels like it's filling with acid. The resulting pain causes me to limp home every time, bent over and sick for the rest of the evening. Does any one know what causes this and how I might prevent it? It's a very frustrating way to end every run. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your diet and how close to running time are you eating?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Dan's questions about what you eat and how close to your running time you eat it.......did you start eating or drinking anything different at the time the pains began?
kim
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Diet and eating habits Reply with quote

Hi Guys, and thanks for replying. I am a strict vegan, and while I started running in Costa Rica, where my diet is more full of fruits and veggies and less full of processed soy, I'd been in Costa Rica on that same diet for at least three months before I started. As for when I eat in relation to when I run, I usually run about 3 or 4 hours after my last meal, or at least 1 hour after. My friend who runs marathons and who got me into running has speculated that it might be something about lactic acid build up. Any thoughts?
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know lactic acid only occurs in muscles once they are tired and struggling to get enough oxygen. I don't think lactic acid builds up in the stomach.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing sounds out of place with your preparation. Maybe acid reflux or something along those lines? Your diet seems like it should be fine, unless you're lacking in some nutrients.

I agree, lactic acid doesn't sound plausible.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sceptical too about the lactic acid. Your friend may have been thinking of acid reflux. Ward's Worthless Opinion is to get checked by a gastroenterologist (sp). You know...a stomach doctor.

I ignored acid reflux and lived painfully on Mylanta until I finally couldn't stand it anymore. By then it had turned into a condition called Barrett's Esophogus. The next step would have been esophogial cancer. But now it is under control with meds. So the moral of the story is....please go get a checkup.
kim
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'll make an appointment with my local stomach doctor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: