Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Kenya should take Samuel Wanjiru from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Loads of talent in multiple events but no single area of focus, hard worker but not keen on competing, analytical to a fault... Imagine yourself in a coach's shoes, trying to figure out what button to push to realize all that potential. That's the sort of thing that keeps coaches from getting any sleep...

Dan

This is the United States. When it comes to dashes, and even many longer events, we have so much talent that one man who runs for fun, in spite of that fact that he quite likely has potential to be a world class dasher, will make no difference.
With one possible exception; where do you live? Because, if I could get two more, 'any people,' with you on the team, we could win NJ Indoor Championships in th 4 x 400 m.
By 'any' I mean people closing on or able to run 400 m in 60 seconds.
Nota Bene: many countries, including my native Poland, are looking for athletes, most especially in the USA, who cannot qualify, but if they did qualify, could easily reach the final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ran briefly for Blinn College and when you have a 400 Hurdler who has run 47.5, two sub 45 400m men, a high schooler who ran 10.13 legal in 100m, 1:46, and two 1:47 800m men, 8:13 steepler. I didn't get paid too much attention as I was expected to beat the 800m men from pratice. I did some more TRAINING/ racing under the tutelage of Jim Spivey coaching me on the phone and correspondence (he is great if anyone looking for a coach).

Now that I myself am a coach I know that sometimes some athletes need more than just the physical training they also need mental motiviation/training. I had the talent but because everyone told me I shouldn't be able to run like that in practice (which I enjoyed) I didn't think I should in competition. It sounds stupid now but at the time I was inexperienced and new to competing, if I knew THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW!

I am eager to get back on the track now and actually compete.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinn's no joke. That's quite an accomplishment to be a part of the teams they've put together over the years. Thumbs Up

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: dont understand Reply with quote

What is Kenya's problem first they didn't solicit Samuel Wanjiru to run the Kenyan trials and then Veronica Wanjiru (15 yrs old) make the team and runs 15:13 for 2nd place at altitude and they deny her a spot. Kenya is denying its talented young athletes experience that could prove vital for them in upcoming Championships. Those two athletes fitness shows that they could perform just as well as older Kenyans at the Championships, so WHAT IS KENYA'S PROBLEM?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenya has quite the history of being over-controlling with its selection process, and usually for no logical reason, like leaving a sure-fire top-2 or 3 in Komen at home in '96. The cynic in me suspects there's a lot of bribery going on.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Kenya could be so much more Reply with quote

I agree and its been publicized that payoffs have been in Kenya's federation and officals recent past. The country will never dominate again until they get a better/logical/honest federation. Kenya could take a page out of how Ethiopia handles it talent and its athletes in general.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually hadn't seen those reports. I guess my cynicism was justified for once. Smile

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: what you think? Reply with quote

Does anyone here think that Kenya with the likes of Augustine Choge (1Cool 7:28, 12:53, Samuel Wanjiru (1Cool 27:08, 59:43 1/2 mar, and Veronica Wanjiru (15) 8:42, 15:13 (A) have the talent to overtake Ethiopia in the 5000m and 10000m. Could Kenya once again dominate the two longest track races if they got a better support/development system for juniors and organized federation and with slightly more controll and rewards for its top athletes?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until the last 2-3 years, Kenya had easily the best depth of talent but Ethiopia always had the top couple individuals. That tells me that Kenya is doing a relatively poor job at developing their top talent, so yes, I think they could.

What I'm curious about is if anything has changed within the Ethiopian development system of late, because they sure are producing more top flight numbers. Of course, it could just be the trickle down effect, with such a strong example being set by Geb, Bekele, and co.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all - great times Vipam... and very happy to see you getting back into competition!

Secondly to you rpoint about domination... I don't think so as more and more athletes begin to get chances and training from places like Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Eritrea,... we see better and better competition. I think there is a very good chance if they could get a concerted effort as Ethiopia does then they would become level again for sure and I for one would love to see it!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But will they? The Kenyan Federation does more to drive its athletes away than to promote a harmonious training effort.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Edition on National Public Radio had a segment this morning on the exodus of Kenyan runners to run for other countries. They reported it from strictly an economic angle, saying that the Kenyans leave for the money. The head of the Kenyan federation called the runners greedy and unpatriotic and said that they may be barred from coming back to Kenya to train. If you want to hear it go to www.npr.org and follow the links for Morning Edition.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed although they seem to be starting to make changes... and also my statement was more a wish rather than a fact... a big IF they could do it it would be great to see.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Morning Edition on National Public Radio had a segment this morning on the exodus of Kenyan runners to run for other countries. They reported it from strictly an economic angle, saying that the Kenyans leave for the money. The head of the Kenyan federation called the runners greedy and unpatriotic and said that they may be barred from coming back to Kenya to train. If you want to hear it go to www.npr.org and follow the links for Morning Edition.

So I see that Kenya is really trying to keep them at home ... At least if they were allowed to train at home there might be a chance to "welcome them back" ... Booting them out completely severs all ties !!!

Perhaps Kenya should take a look at prevention rather than containment ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Few of their top athletes spend significant amounts of time training (or living) at home, so that policy comes across as pitiful posturing.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: