Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Next Meet: Memorial Van Damme 9/5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see Jenny Adams in the open 200m, though I noticed there was no short hurdle race.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drum roll please...

Final results are in for the 2003 Run-Down Fantasy T&F season!

http://run-down.com/fantasy/index.php?go=full_results

Congratulations to Pawel for a huge last meet to overtake the lead! Most unprecedented come from behind victory in Run-Down Fantasy T&F history.

Andy and Graham also managed to climb a rung or two higher, but Andrew slipped a tad. Conway, I was pulling for you, but...

Micah, one spot higher, once again fending off my late rally.

Mutola was the runaway points leader, amassing 250 more than the closest pursuer. I have no doubt she'll value that distinction much more than the $1 million she won for the GL sweep. Smile

Chris Phillips and Eliud Kipchoge were the big winners on overall value (points/cost ratio), ringing up some loft 0.37 and 0.35 rankings, respectively.

Interesting how much stronger the women's high jump was this year than last. Last year, there were hardly any performance points to be had, just the placing points.

Final point totals by event:

Men's 110h: 8718.10
Men's 800m: 8613.61
Men's 100m: 8293.27
Women's 100m: 7818.59
Women's 800m: 7400.34
Men's 5k: 6578.91
Men's PV: 6175.36
Women's HJ: 6017.83
Women's 1500m: 5084.52
Women's 400m: 2779.88

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed her in the 200m and thought, "uh, she's gonna get smoked." If her top end speed seems lacking in the hurdles, wait till she hits the open sprints... Still, nothing wrong with working on your weaknesses. And the more camera time she gets, the better. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice shot of Jenny clearing the first hurdle would make for some fine desktop wallpaper. Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in your quest...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll skip that quest. Too harsh. Well, the Long Jump one comes across with some nice athleticism.

http://los.idx.com.au/ja/jennyadamspic.html
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detective work. I'd have to opt for long jumping over hurdling, myself. Brings out better expressions.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the hurdling ones made me cringe, too tight. Maybe that's a reason why she gets through heats and falters in the finals, wound too tight to be graceful and fluid.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered that. Every time I see her run on TV, she looks like she's really straining.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing her run in the heats in the 2001 USATF's (Eugene). All by herself, 12.6. I said, nobody's going to touch her. I don't even know if she placed in the top four!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems she can run 12.6 to 12.8 in her sleep, but she lacks the leg speed and relaxation to hang when the 12.5's start cranking.

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Congratulations to Pawel for a huge last meet to overtake the lead! Most unprecedented come from behind victory in Run-Down Fantasy T&F history.

Thanx, I was definitely not expecting it to happen after the first meet... I did make a couple of mistakes in picking my team, too - I guess they were just not as bad as everyone else's Wink At least I was right on the basic principles - pick mostly major stars and stick to athletes who I expected to be competing often, which worked well in most cases. With the experience, I suppose I can potentially do better next year... but then, who knows? There's a lot of luck involved in these things anyway.

In any case, I had a lot of fun participating in this competition. Thanks to Dan for the hard work he did putting it all together. Too bad I have to wait some 9 months for the next one to start... Meanwhile, if anyone's interested, you are welcome to take part in prediction contests on www.athleticslinks.com - the next one is for the World Athletics Final next weekend (you'll be able to enter once the participants' lists are announced, which will happen on either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your strategy obviously worked well. I can take some solace in knowing my prediction that the top two after the first meet would not hold up came true, although it took much longer than expected for the final poll setter to drop.

Now that season 2 is wrapped up, I'll have to get on the ball with talking to other prediction contest hosts about setting up a annual competition schedule... A couple people have expressed interest in organizing that sort of thing.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I've been offline all week ... How did I do ????
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious where you've been... The final meet wasn't good to you, unfortunately. Dropped to 32nd place. I think Johnson and White were your only two scorers, with Wade finishing miserably.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: