Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
computer problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: computer problems Reply with quote

I'm having a few 'puter issues today and may be checking in a bit less frequently until I get things rectified...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm through the worst of it. Neutral

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ordeal never quite quieted down as much as I would have liked, eventually necessitating a new computer (the old one barely made it across the finish line; it even crashed again while transferring files), which arrived today. I've still got lots of setup and troubleshooting today, so I'll see you all when I see you...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pray tell did you get oh mighty one ... Curious if I stack up to your standards .... I am guessing a Dell ... Power laptop of some sort ... Lots of memory ... Super fast processor ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on a few counts. Dell Dimension 8300 desktop (already got a notebook and don't particularly like working on such a small bugger for regular stuff), P4 2.6 ghz, 256 mb ram, 128 mb video ram, 40 gb hard drive, 16x DVD, etc.

Ram is probably the closest thing to skimped on, but my opinion is anything between 128 and 512+ is an unnoticable difference.

The processor is very fast and has the new Hyperthreading technology, but it's what I expected ... 5x the speed of my old Athlon 550 mhz system and hardly seems any different (not that that's bad, as I was very happy with the speed of the old computer). I've been saying for quite some time now that anything over 400 mhz you can't see the difference unless you're doing very heavy graphics work or gaming. Just an advertising gimmick.

As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a believer in the latest and greatest. Ride what you've got until it can't go much further, because anything made in the past 5 years will function almost identically if it's in good running order. More memory can always be added cheap...

I haven't pushed its limits yet with large graphics files, but I'm hopeful the generous supply of video ram will help a lot in that area. 128 mb was only a $15 upgrade over 64 mb, and I think I only had 16 or 32 mb previously...

I moved over my CD burner, spare hard drive, and floppy drive from old systems to keep cost down.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: