Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Next Meet: Lausanne Athletissima 7/1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about awarding double points for World Champs/Olympics? That would eliminate some of the randomness involved, since presumably all top athletes will compete there (except if they're injured or don't qualify...) I think that would be an idea to consider for next year.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am suffering from Guevara fever ... Wish I too had know she was going to be low key ... Has not been her style in the past ... She loves to run and compete ... Wonder why the change all of a sudden ??

Double points would be nice in the big one ... Sort of make up for the ducking and dodging that often takes place ... And the meet should count more perhaps as it truly does mean more ...

And Dan I am surprised you missed the Greek meet reference ... Must say that was a different approach ... We will have to see how it plays out ... Selecting not necessarily the best but those known to compete ... Hmmmm ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about double points for the WCs (it was actually suggested for this year's contest), but that adds a lot of programmatical challenges you wouldn't expect... I would either need to go through and manually double the points for all 1000+ athletes for that meet (doing so again if I need to re-score the meets for any reason), or add in something that keys the program into doubling points automatically for each meet. The latter could certainly be done with some code addition, but it would be easy to screw up the meet IDs.

Quote:
And Dan I am surprised you missed the Greek meet reference ...

I think I was thrown off by how similar it sounded to the Denver Nuggets' rookie from last year... That or a butchered version of Tupac's alter ego. Neutral

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to determine start times for today's meet?

http://www.athletissima.ch/epreuves.html

I know it's GMT +1, but I can't find much more than that...

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I thought about double points for the WCs (it was actually suggested for this year's contest), but that adds a lot of programmatical challenges you wouldn't expect... I would either need to go through and manually double the points for all 1000+ athletes for that meet (doing so again if I need to re-score the meets for any reason), or add in something that keys the program into doubling points automatically for each meet. The latter could certainly be done with some code addition, but it would be easy to screw up the meet IDs.

I don't know the first thing about programming, so correct me if my suggestion is actually dumb/unworkable, but couldn't you just include the World Champs twice in the setup, i.e. treat them as if they were two separate meets (with identical results)?
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Has anyone been able to determine start times for today's meet?

I know it's GMT +1, but I can't find much more than that...

Dan

GMT +1 is 6 hours ahead of US Eastern time (or 9 hours ahead of Pacific time), i.e. 7 PM in Lausanne is 1 PM in NYC. Hope this helps Very Happy

I'm going home now to watch it live on tv. Ain't I lucky to be living in Europe? Razz
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do that, but it would make an even bigger mess of displaying meet results.

Quote:
GMT +1 is 6 hours ahead of US Eastern time (or 9 hours ahead of Pacific time), i.e. 7 PM in Lausanne is 1 PM in NYC.

Thanks, but that much I knew. I may have been unclear, but the question was about event start times (so I can enter results as they come in), not time zone differences which I already knew to be +9...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results are trickling in...

Click on the Les résultats (2003) dropdown on the right.

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Thanks, but that much I knew. I may have been unclear, but the question was about event start times (so I can enter results as they come in), not time zone differences which I already knew to be +9...

Dan

I was confused about the question, since the very page you gave a link to gave the CET start times for every event...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what stuff like 20H05 indicates, as in 20:05? That looks like gibberish to me... Neutral My first guess would have been something like event 20, heat 5.

Just waiting for the women's HJ, men's PV, and men's 5k results, then I'll get this meet scored...

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Is that what stuff like 20H05 indicates, as in 20:05?

Yes, that is exactly what it stands for Laughing

Very mixed fortunes for my team tonight... Four of them had excellent wins, and then the other two didn't score at all. Not quite as good as I hoped I would do, but not totally awful, either.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what it stands for

Cool, I'll know for next year...

4 wins isn't bad. That should give you at least 600 points, maybe closer to 700.

The HJ and PV results sure are taking a while...

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
The HJ and PV results sure are taking a while...

Dan

Try http://www.iaaf.org/gp03/results/textFiles/eventCode=3005/textfile.txt - the results have been there for over an hour now.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for using the event site... Oh well, I just got them loaded and the meet scored:

http://run-down.com/fantasy/index.php?go=full_results

You moved into the top 10! Thumbs Up

Andre and GT, you guys are inching closer to the lead...

Micah cracked the top 50. And wouldn't you believe it, Conway pipped him by one spot. Smile

And me, I'm poised for an assault on the top 100. Neutral I'm hoping for 70th or so after the next meet.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get into a groove now ... Last year I don't think I ever cracked the top 100 ... And most of the time I was around the 150 mark or so ... Much better this time around ... And I have a fair number of athletes in Paris ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: