Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Eugene to be permenant NCAAs host?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Eugene to be permenant NCAAs host? Reply with quote

Interesting article I just ran across:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2003/01/30/1d.sp.ncaatrakchamps.0130.html

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea. Some will probably want to stick with the rotation system but the point they make about Omaha and the College World Series is a good one. If the community wants it and supports it then why not? Omaha has certainly done it.

BTW, it is one of my dreams to come to Eugene one year when they host the Masters National Championships. And since there are no qualifying standards then one day..................
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm undecided on which is a stronger factor, building a strong base of support in one location or moving it around for increased visibility and varied participation. Sure, some valid examples were given of the viability of staying in one place (how big is Indoor track as a spectator sport, though?), but that's miniscule compared to the number of sports that move their championships around each year. Other than high school championship meets, I actually can't think of any other examples of sports that stay put year after year...

With how much that's been written of the dwindling fan base in Eugene, what with the change in approach of the new UO programs, I'm not even entirely convinced it would be received as well as is being assumed. Probably enough people would come from out of the area to make that a moot point, though. It's not like you need 35,000 people to fill up Hayward, after all.

Micah, even if it's just a year that Nike hosts the Masters meets (will they do that again in an open format?), you'll still have to go visit Hayward just for the heck of it. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the National Masters meet was held at Hayward.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the World Masters meet that was in Beaverton, possibly the same year the National meet was in Eugene. Paul probably remembers more definitively...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sport like track and field MUST have as much exposure as it can get ... It's not the national past time like baseball is ... Or must see like football ... Track needs to be out there gaining as much fan support as possible ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I'm not sure which side of the fence that puts you on... :question: My guess is you think moving the championship around is best, as that leads to the most exposure and it cannot depend on built-in popularity like the lone example of baseball. On the other hand, it could be you think exposure will be the best in a place like Eugene that embraces the sport more than most cities do in this country...

Confused

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event needs to be moved around ... Eugene is great ... So is Sacramento ... Indianapolis ... There are several great places ... And fans and future fans should have the opportunity to see these athletes live ... That is THE best way to gain fan support ... Mascots aside ... LOL ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, just like I thought. Smile

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should consider a middle-ground approach of rotating through a select few cities such as those you mentioned, maybe adding in New York and Florida to round out the regional aspect? They could have 3-5 cities that are rotated through on a set schedule, and after every one or two times through, step back and take a look at each host and determine if they deserve to remain in the rotation. That would seem accomplish all of the objectives -- good location, maximum exposure, competent hosting (familiarity/consistency) -- without any of the drawbacks.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever they do they don't need to bring them to Atlanta. After the dismal showing of the National Indoors Champs and then the failure to build on the Olympics any place would be better than there.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with regional sites ... My only problem with southern sites is the high humidity ... Not sure where you would host them in Florida ... LSU isn't bad ... They've done a good job with the NCAA's there ... Or Knoxville ... I've been to both and they have done a good job ... I don't know about Atlanta ... They don't support sports there very well ... They built a new arena for the basketball team and only about a dozen people show up for each game !!!!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlanta sports fans are very fickle. The reason no one goes to see the Hawks is because they are terrible. The same reason no one went to see the Braves or Falcons when they were losing. The only sports that draw consistant crowds are U of GA football and high school football. Oh yeah throw in NASCAR and the Masters Golf Tournament (10 year waiting list for tickets.)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSU would be a good choice. I mentioned Florida because of the strong high school, college, and post-collegiate base there, and because I have a feeling Holloway would pull together a good event if asked to.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holloqay would do an outstanding job .... Question is whether or not that would be enough .... But regional idea would be great for the sport ... Same idea as the Olympics and the Worlds ... Spread the wealth !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: