Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Things are gettin' interesting in NC!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was one of the more, er, original excuses. The most disturbing aspect is the alleged reason USATF bought it and cleared him...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Mitchell coaching I would be careful ... Not becasue of drugs, but becasue the last world class athlete he coached went backwards - Bernard Williams !!!!!

I have no problem with who coaches whom ... The problem I have with the whole thing with TM & MJ is the way it has been handled l... They have handled it like people who have something to hide ... That and the fact that with their careers where they are they did not need the kind of negative PR that it was sure to attract ... Bad PR move more than anything ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget JJ Johnson... That's one of the chronological mistakes I was referring to. The article I read previously quoted some British reps as saying they were confident in the choice because Mitchell had coached Bernard and JJ to prominence. Got the cart a bit before the horse there...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/2003/01/31/francis_coaching_ap/

Gee, lots of tough talk from the IAAF and GL meet directors recently, but not much substance to back up the posturing. A bunch of spineless butt kissers, if you ask me. :t-:

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way off subject, but speaking of Sports Ill. Terry Baker, besides Heisman winner in 1962, was also SI's Sportsman of the Year. Go Beaver Power!! Thumbs Up

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to track, from what I hear TM & MJ are on the virge of making some kind of statement to the effect that they are severing ties with CF ... And then go back underground andn continue doing what theyh have been doing for the past few years anyway !!! Which makes sense since THEY did not divulge this information it just got out ... So they will "squash it" and then go back to "normal" ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which truly begs the question why they chose to sever ties with Graham if he wasn't coaching them anyway... Probably someone's ego got too big.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to look at all the posts on this thread. I remember thinking that this whole episode might just blow over, but I never put anything down in black and white. I still wonder about the repercusions of signing Gatlin. And I am still perplexed by this vague Graham/Francis liason that no one except at Run-Down is picking up on.
You have to have some good facilities to train at and I think N.C. would be hard to beat.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC certainly beats Toronto for training environment.

I find it odd that Francis has stayed in Canada, when that's the one place where his coaching opportunities are restricted. He does a lot of clinics in the US, so that would seem to me a more sensible place to setup shop.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long URL...

Seems to be lot of lawyer-issued statements suddenly...

An interesting theory was floated on the t-and-f list that none of this timing was coincidental. A month and a half of silence on the matter followed by the Charlie Francis issuing a formal statement about his new anti-drug belief on the same day the IAAF extends an offer for reinstatement if he comes clean, and this after 15 years of being "banned" and being staunchly pro-drugs??? It does seem a bit suspicious.

If Tim and possibly Marion have been previously working with an uncredited Francis, maybe this little maneuver was their way of thanking him by putting him back on center stage and getting him reinstated? I don't know what the end result of that could be though, as we've already seen the negative backlash of anyone working with him...

Dan

Last edited by Dan on Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They better hope someone doesn't suggest they undergo blood tests as opposed to urine to show their cleanliness !!!!! And they better not EVER test positive .... Would b e worse than that Southwest airlines commercial where the woman lets lose the computer virus !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

They being anyone that works with Francis in the future or Marion and Tim specifically?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion and Tim specifically ... Not accusing them, but if anything ever happened at this point they would be run out of the sport !!! And you know that everything they do will be scrutinized ... They have really made things difficult for themselves ... Unnecessarily so ... Too high profile to take the path they have chosen ... Have you seen the article that MJ did regarding this ??? Not that it was totally accurate, but it did have some good points ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ meaning Michael Johnson, not Marion Jones, I presume? Or is that Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson or Michael Jackson or Mick Jagger or ... ? Smile To make a long story short, no, I haven't seen it.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Johnson ... I believe BBC website still has it up ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: