Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
30% Long Runs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Tricky, but sweet! Reply with quote

Dear DG: That's a great idea, planning it so the kids can just beat the goal you set for them Thumbs Up .

I'm sure it gives them a great sense of accomplishment, and the psychic energy to try even harder the next time. Good job, Coach. Well done. I'll bet those kids really like you! Mad Dog, www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much to allow them to beat there times as it is that they are either going to beat there times or be really upset, no matter what the times are. This is just my way of getting them to run the times I want. As for them liking me that really varies from kid to kid and day to day.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in my first over 4 mile run without any breaks yesterday in well over a year. Nothing to brag about, pace wise, about 9 per mile. Knee has been holding up to more day in and day out training, but last Fridays' 200's did tax them quite a bit.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your getting well again. Fast intervals and the stresses of daily training are the hardest things when you coming back from an injury.

I'm on sort of the same path, although my problem has been I just wasn't running as opposed to any kind of an injury. I've got 6 miles scheduled for my run today. If I get it in that would be the first back to back 6 mile days (yesterday I got 3.5 miles of warm up and cool down a long with my 5X800 workout) I've had since at least July. I've lost a couple of pounds but I've still got a ways to go. I'm at about 175 right now (I'm 5'10") I'd like to be under 160 by March or so. My ideal racing wieght is just under 150 so I've got some work to do. Neutral
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul, how about a training update, how's your running progressing?

I finally seem to be getting a little consistancy back in my running. I hit 30 miles last week, thats with a virtual mirror image of the workout I posted a couple of weeks ago. I'm healthy and motivated for the first time in a while. It must have been the butt kicking Hammer gave me when I ran with him down in NM. Nothing like eating a little dust to get you motivated to train.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping up on Paul's workouts is kind of a forum easter egg hunt. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG- Last week I ran 10X300m and averaged 57sec. and yesterday I ran 6X600 and averaged 1.55. Nothing groundbreaking but I am running pain free and semi-fast (for now) I'm going to race on Saturday ("Corrida de los Locos") on old favorite of yours. Good luck and keep working hard.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Hammer.. let's see--the race on Saturday is 4.8 miles, right? I'm predicting a 28:28...at least they moved the race from the old course where you could end up going out with a 30 mph wind and coming back against it (or vice-versa). What was DG's best time at this race? Good luck..run fast and have fun!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No predictions to the tenth of a second? Smile Hammer, pressure's on now!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm ready to run that fast. I was looking more at breaking 29.30. I plan to go out for the first mile in 6.00 and cut down each mile and come from off of the pace (negative split). I'm looking at that race as a 5 mile tempo.

And what's up with the race distance (4.86 on the flyer) I'm thinking of taking my wheel and figuring out where the 5 mile mark is and run to there.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachd- have you seen the new course (out at the Marty Sanchez golf course)?? When DG, Randy, and CHuck ran the race it was out at the Downs of Santa Fe.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I can see Hammer out there with his wheel. As for the time--okay, if it's more like a tempo and not really a race, but then again if you go out at 6:00 and negative split, I think you'll still be under 29. But I don't know why 4.86--how hard is it to add a couple hundred meters? But then again it is the Corrida de LOS LOCOS, right?
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the new course. But I remember the old out and back route could get pretty miserable if the weather didn't cooperate.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those of you that don't speak spanish Corrida de Los Locos means "Running of the crazy people". It's run in all kinds of weather, and being held in late January at between 6500 and 7000 feet elevation you can get some pretty nasty racing conditions. I'm not familiar with the new coarse but the old coarse was situated in the strangest spot I've ever seen. Every time you went over a slight ridge or turned a corner you would get blasted with frigid wind and if you found a still spot it seemed like the cold air would just settle. One year we brought a thermometer and found it was like 13 degrees warmer just a few blocks from the race coarse. Wierd Surprised

As for times I was always in horrible shape for that race and never ran really fast, besides I'm pretty sure the coarse was measured buy the odometer on sombodys old beat up farm truck so I made it a point not to remember mine.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for a Hammer update, here!!

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: