Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
2003 Summer Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: 2003 Summer Season Reply with quote

I haven't looked it over in detail yet, but here's the announcment of next summer's meets, which should form the basis of our Fantasy T&F schedule:

Quote:
2003 IAAF Competition Circuit Approved

Following the restructuring of the IAAF Outdoor Circuit from 2003, it was agreed that this would consist of 36 One-day meetings:

Golden League 6

Berlin (GER), Brussels (BEL), Oslo (NOR), Paris (FRA), Rome (ITA) and
Zürich (SUI)

Super Grand Prix 9

Athens (GRE), Doha (QAT), Eugene (USA), Gateshead (GBR), Lausanne (SUI), London (GBR), Madrid (ESP), Ostrava (SVK) and Stockholm (SWE)

It was agreed that Madrid and Ostrava would be included in the Super Grand Prix category for a probation period of one year, at which point an evaluation would be made to ensure that relevant criteria and requirements were being met. It was also agreed that the inclusion of Athens in this category is conditional on the receipt of adequate guarantees from the meeting organizers as soon as possible.

Grand Prix 10

Belem (BRA), Hengelo (NED), Helsinki (FIN), Lille (FRA), Linz (AUT), Osaka (JPN), Portland (USA), Rieti (ITA), Seville (ESP) and Zagreb (CRO)

Grand Prix II 11

Bratislava (SVK), Heusden (BEL), Martinique (FRA), Melbourne (AUS), Milan (ITA), Nice (FRA), Palo Alto (USA), Prague (CZE), Thessaloniki (GRE), Torino (ITA) and Tula (RUS).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we looking at all 36 competitions forming the basis of our league next season ????
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack!! Surprised No, I don't think I could muster that sort of a schedule... I just meant that the above gives us an outline of what to choose from. Anyone know when the actual GL events get announced?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you also consider the WC's in the scoring of next years fantasy league?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely yes. All the events will be contested and most all of the big names, so I don't see any reason at this time not to.

By the way, congrats on breaking 1,000!! Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the WC get some kind of bonus points ??? After all it will be THE event of the year ... And when will be be deciding on which events to contest and how many do you see being contested ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would sort of make sense to count it as more points, but I'll have to think about how to do that within the confines of the automated scoring system. And I've got too many things on my mind right now to do anything resembling real thinking...

I'm leaning toward a similar number of events as last year, but basing them on the selected GL events to avoid mishaps like the men's long jump (never contested) last year. Seems to me the GL event schedule was announced pretty late last year?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

I'm leaning toward a similar number of events as last year, but basing them on the selected GL events to avoid mishaps like the men's long jump (never contested) last year. Seems to me the GL event schedule was announced pretty late last year?

Dan

Yes it seemed like it was quite late before all was decided last year ... Seems we would first need to figure out what events we want to be involved in ... Then wait to see which meets will be contesting a majority of those events ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of preping for the league could be by announcing some of the fantasy league events early and then finishing it when the GL events are announced. For example I would imagine it's a given that the 100 and probably the 1500/mile, 400 and probably the 3000/5000 wil be golden league events next year. So you could begin by listing those events and then anouncing the final events when the GL makes it's announcement. Of coarse now that I think about it, it would probably just be simpliest to wait for the GL to make their announcement and then use those events. Now I remeber why I leave the thinking on these sort of things to you. Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work fairly well for the main events, but I'm not really sure what it would accomplish... If anyone needs that extra month to shop and prep their roster, well, they need to get outside more. Laughing

For each chosen event, I need to import all the IAAF athlete ranking info and convert it to the pricing system, plus make sure we have a good Purdy scoring tool, so I'd rather not go through that process for events we end up not using...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it about time to start a more serious discusssion of what we want to target for the next season ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire away! Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to set it up so that we can get points for an athlete no matter what event they run? For example, if I take Marla Runyan I could get points whether she was running the 1500 or 3000 or 5000. Take Marion and get points if she is in the 100 or 200.

I think once before you said it would be very difficult. So if it is then disregard.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may well be a way to do it easily, but it hasn't yet dawned on my feeble little brain. To keep the athlete selection/scoring system automated, it means somehow creating a purchase price for each athlete that reflects their worth across all contested events. That means more work for pulling in the IAAF ranking data, but assuming consistent spelling of names from one event list to the next, I may be able to come up with some way to sort and compile it all (still leaves the step of how to actually combine event "prices" meaningfully). Then I'd have to think what that does to the event scoring process for each meet...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it hurt me last year, I'd almost say don't do it ... I think we need to pick events that are likely to be contested and stick with those ... Taking Marion for example, she only ran 3 200s all season as the 100 was the focus event ... I think we just need ot do a better job of event selection ... Last year we had a lot of "hollow" events ...

I would think the first question on the table is what events do we want to use ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: