Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Dog Attacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipknot
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Dog Attacks Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum, so first I just want to say hello. Second, Iam looking for some advice. I just started running about 3 months ago, and I feel I have progressed quickly, mainly because I've been active in sports my whole life. Anyways, there is a perfect route I can run from my house, that is exactly 5 miles with two killer hills in it, and its off the main roads so cars arent an issue. The problem is while running it the other day a gigantic dog came at me, at first I figured the homeowner would have an electric fence set up, but the dog continued into the road, right up to my back legs. I kicked and yelled my friging head off at the thing, and eventually after he still persisted to show teeth and jump at me, I ran up a large embackment on the side of the road, and he couldnt follow me up it. So I was able to get away from him.
Now just curious on what actions I should take, I dont wanna be a jerk off and flip out on these people, but again though, they should have there damn dog chained up. I ordered a dog pepper spray online, but iam sure if I spray this dog, i'll have to end up fighting the owner. Any suggestions on what course to take? Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nothing useful. Neutral I'm the one that dogs always come after no matter how big the group of runners or cyclists around me...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city I live in really caters to dogs. There are a number of off leash parks. Too many dog owners, in my opinion, don't think rules apply to them. Their pets run all over the place. There simply is no respect for other people or personal property.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem are these long fishing line-like leashes. There is no physical control over the animal. This really presents a problem for a cyclist or runner, running along a bike path who encounters a dog and leash taking up the entire width of the path. Since a cyclist is going at a faster speed than a runner, the problem becomes even worse.
Dog bites can be pretty nasty. Even superficial ones can be a long time to heal. I wouldn't take a chance. Hose it down with the pepper spray. Any owner is going to have a hard explaining why their animal was loose in the first place.
Both Dan and I have been chased by dogs. Dan has had worse encounters than me. One time a dog reached up to nip at his fingers, but fortunately only ended up with a glove off his hand. When Dan confronted the owner, the owner said that maybe he (Dan) shouldn't have been running in the first place. This is just one of dozens of incidents that have turned me against dog owners in general.
I do have friends who own dogs who are very responsible. Some actually carry mace themselves when they are walking their dogs. Dogs on a leash and/or with a muzzle are targets for dogs off leash. Believe me, they've hosed a few dogs down themselves.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, your memory never ceases to amaze me! I couldn't have recounted the story much better myself.

Those retractable leashes certainly can be a menace. If I'm not mistaken, some public places have begun disallowing them for the very reasons you mentioned.

It's funny, friends' dogs always love me, but when I run across a dog while out and about, it's like a shark smelling blood. Whatever the situation, they're certainly drawn to me.

Dan
Slipknot
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. What I decided to do was to write an anonymous letter and leave it in there mailbox. I wasnt a jerk, but I let them know that its my right to run on the road and that the dog should be chained up. Either way, the pepper spray will be locked and loaded everytime I come up to that property.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that doesn't work, call the city and ask for animal control. Tell them you've tried reminding the owners to tend to their dog and it's still on the loose. Most cities will take the complaint seriously.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Another problem are these long fishing line-like leashes. There is no physical control over the animal. This really presents a problem for a cyclist or runner, running along a bike path who encounters a dog and leash taking up the entire width of the path. Since a cyclist is going at a faster speed than a runner, the problem becomes even worse.
Dog bites can be pretty nasty. Even superficial ones can be a long time to heal. I wouldn't take a chance. Hose it down with the pepper spray. Any owner is going to have a hard explaining why their animal was loose in the first place.
Both Dan and I have been chased by dogs. Dan has had worse encounters than me. One time a dog reached up to nip at his fingers, but fortunately only ended up with a glove off his hand. When Dan confronted the owner, the owner said that maybe he (Dan) shouldn't have been running in the first place. This is just one of dozens of incidents that have turned me against dog owners in general.
I do have friends who own dogs who are very responsible. Some actually carry mace themselves when they are walking their dogs. Dogs on a leash and/or with a muzzle are targets for dogs off leash. Believe me, they've hosed a few dogs down themselves.

After my friend Yitzchak (by the way: a premier master’s level road runner in New Jersey) got attacked by a dog who was on an 18—feet long, or longer, leash, the City of Elizabeth or Elizabethport passed an ordinance prohibiting walking dogs on leashes longer than 6 feet (if I remember correctly).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr, yes, in Portland, now, a leash is considered to be 6 feet or less.

As I remember the story, Dan, a short time later you ran into the same guy who was teaching his dog to jump over a fence, almost like he was training an attack dog.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, your memory is flawless. Thumbs Up

At least he had the dog on a leash as it hopped the fence...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 27 years of running I've never been attacked by a dog. Of course there is always tomorrow.

Dogs by nature chase anything that runs. So start by slowing down and raising your arms high (to make yourself look larger) and firmly shout, "NO!". That is a command most dogs know. Also, don't look the dog straight in the eyes because they take that as a challenge. Most of the time if you come to a complete stop and shout loudly the dog will back off. They are just protecting their territory so ease back into your run while keeping the dog in your perifial (sp) vision. You have to show them that you are moving away from their territory and at the same time are not easy prey.

If that fails then unleash the pepper spray.
AnamArtin
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce thing you said there Micah.. but i Like the last part.
If that fails then unleash the pepper spray . Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: