FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
nice job Graeme!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: nice job Graeme! Reply with quote

http://willamette.edu/athletics/xcountry/results/2005/100105_charlesbowles_men.htm

41st place in the college race, scoring runner for UVic. I can't take credit for noticing him in the results, though. That honor goes to Paul. I completely forgot you guys were planning on coming down to the meet, but I couldn't make it anyway, since we had our big HS invite up in Portland at the same time.

How'd you like your first trip to Salem and first taste of the Willamette Invite? Did it live up to its billing? Wet enough for you on the way down Friday?

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. I was pretty happy with the race having just done a very mediocre 26:36 8k in Lacey, WA. Willamette is definitely a faster course, but it was still a big step in the right direction. I was even more happy with our team's performance. We kind of expected to be buried in the race, but UVic ended up third in the team standings for the college race. It felt really good to look at the results and see that we would have beaten about half of the div 1 teams.

I really liked the course except I didn't completely know the route and so it was hard to pace myself on the last mile as I didn't know how much we had left before entering the track, so I ended up waiting a little too long to kick it. I'm usually the kind of runner that grinds out a 600m kick, rather than a super fast final 100m so that probably cost me a few spots.

It rained a lot before the race so the course was fairly wet, but it didn't rain much on Saturday, which actually worked out quite well, especially since most of the race is chip trail or pavement it didn't really slow anyone down.

Usually we fly to races that are this far from home, but we had a bus this time, so it was really fun to go on a road trip for once, plus we got to bring more people. It adds a little more pressure though because if youo don't run well, it's a looooong ride back Smile.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love improving by a minute, regardless of the course.

Interestingly, the guy right behind you was a Willamette guy who went to the HS I now coach at...

Friday and Sunday were monsoon conditions, but Saturday was pretty darn pleasant for the most part. We got pretty lucky with the weather up in Portland, too.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Graeme!! This is your first year in college isn't it?
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, it's my second year
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, who's counting.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, what's your Spring Track season going to look like??

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you would revive this thread the day of Willamette's [track] home opener of the year.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got up. I had forgotten that the first weekend in March was the home opener. Confused

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were up at Linfield today, so I didn't catch it, either.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's an update:

My university does an indoor season, so the plan was to do the 3000 indoor since I'm really preparing for the 1500 in the summer. Training has gone well and I've done workouts that indicate I could run about 8:30. However, I have been battling a bit of a knee injury the past few months that keeps acting up on me before I'm supposed to race. Since I live in Victoria, where we have perfect weather all the time, we can use an outdoor track all year. 400m tracks have nice gradual turns that keep my knee happy. 200m tracks, on the other hand, aggravate my knee big time, and so I have yet to run a race since cross country.

It's been frustrating, but to be honest, I don't care about indoor all that much and I hardly missed out on any training. As long as I run well in the outdoor season I'll be happy.

Haha, anyways, that's why I haven't posted any updates lately, I don't like telling my running stories unless it includes a PB Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: