Distance Den
Geb's latest record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a planned record attempt with very specific pacing. Prior to the race, he spoke about going out too fast the first half there last year and how much time he thought he could knock off by evening it out.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok thanks. You know I just found out yesterday when I was looking on wikipedia that the marathon WR was 2:03, so I double checked and it was right. All this time I thought the record was still 2:04 Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may train at high altitudes, but I came from the mile high state down to sea level and feel no difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geb's next record attempt is 10 days away...

http://www.runblogrun.com/2009/01/borzakovskiy_beaten_over_500_m_1.html

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup what does he get a Million if he breaks it in Dubai...

As far as the altitude training - just training itself gets lost as you body adapts to the new altitude, your benefuts will basically be during that first week down. Thats why they do the Altitude tents and train low live high... The body adjusts to the ambient pressure of oxygen where you currently are fairly quickly. Now there is some debate over people who have lived their entire life at a certain altitude and possibly generation adaptation to that but from what I under stand it would not be the case for you.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1.25M actually, according to the above article, but who's counting? Cool

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelo Z wrote:
They may train at high altitudes, but I came from the mile high state down to sea level and feel no difference.

High altitude used to be the best excuse for blood doping; this is bediseds the point, however.

To me, it is simple: it works the same way as does breathing--in at the normal pressure or "no pressure" oxygenated air (either 66.6% or 100%).
This is why, it only works within the 1st week or two.

Many professional soccer clubs used to practice in the mountains, but this trend is a song of the past because a soccer season lasts from in between two times 3 months in a cold climate to nearly entire year around in warmer climate.

Instead, soccer teams look to the slopes: running--up and running-down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping

Last edited by Indeurr on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing... The amount of detail and precision that goes into top level marathons, both the course planning and the athletes' pacing, stretched over such a long distance.

Quote:
DUBAI (UAE): Legendary Haile Gebrselassie is ready to put himself on the line in pursuit of a new world record in the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon on Friday morning. Admitting again that he went too fast (61min 27sec) in the first half of last year's race in Dubai, he said at Wednesday morning's press conference, "I'd like to do close to 62 minutes this time, not over 62, but around 61.45. maybe 61.40". On such fine distinctions are world records wrought. But he gave the usual caveats for Friday morning, "everything has to be perfect, the weather, the pacemakers, the wind. But it is possible we might get something good". Writes Pat Butcher. Accordingly the organisers have arranged a new course along the coastline, with just four turns– "as flat and as fast as anything I've laid out in 25 years of course planning," said British engineer, Paul Hodgson – and brought the start forward to 6.30am, to avoid the bright sun at the finish. Temperatures should rise from around 10 or 12C at the start, to between 15 and 18C at the finish.

http://www.runblogrun.com/2009/01/bolt_for_toronto_by_alfons_juc.html

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Runner wrote:
Yup what does he get a Million if he breaks it in Dubai...

As far as the altitude training - just training itself gets lost as you body adapts to the new altitude, your benefuts will basically be during that first week down. Thats why they do the Altitude tents and train low live high... The body adjusts to the ambient pressure of oxygen where you currently are fairly quickly. Now there is some debate over people who have lived their entire life at a certain altitude and possibly generation adaptation to that but from what I under stand it would not be the case for you.

Yeah, I came from 5300 ft. down to 731 ft. and didn't feel much difference. Maybe it's because I'm so highly conditioned that the effect seems miniscule as opposed to a 70 year-old moving down to 731 ft. with a pacemaker...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
This is amazing... The amount of detail and precision that goes into top level marathons, both the course planning and the athletes' pacing, stretched over such a long distance.

Quote:
DUBAI (UAE): Legendary Haile Gebrselassie is ready to put himself on the line in pursuit of a new world record in the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon on Friday morning. Admitting again that he went too fast (61min 27sec) in the first half of last year's race in Dubai, he said at Wednesday morning's press conference, "I'd like to do close to 62 minutes this time, not over 62, but around 61.45. maybe 61.40". On such fine distinctions are world records wrought. But he gave the usual caveats for Friday morning, "everything has to be perfect, the weather, the pacemakers, the wind. But it is possible we might get something good". Writes Pat Butcher. Accordingly the organisers have arranged a new course along the coastline, with just four turns– "as flat and as fast as anything I've laid out in 25 years of course planning," said British engineer, Paul Hodgson – and brought the start forward to 6.30am, to avoid the bright sun at the finish. Temperatures should rise from around 10 or 12C at the start, to between 15 and 18C at the finish.

http://www.runblogrun.com/2009/01/bolt_for_toronto_by_alfons_juc.html

Dan

I just do NOT understand who he does it. I can only run at steady-state pace for 30 minutes or so which is about 5:00 or less. He can hold that pace for 2 hours instead!
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Geb is running the Dubai Marathon again next Friday... Is there any chance he'll still have a shot at the world record? At 36, his fast marathons have to be numbered...

He usually doesn't run as fast here as at Berlin, but last year was rainy, and this year looks sunny and maybe on the warm side (low 60, high 81).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the marathon is a slow enough pace relative to his track days that he may not be all that taxed yet. Of course, he has a ton of overall wear and tear on him, going back 15+ years at the highest of levels.

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he's off, 6:30 am Dubai time...

It's more the age I thought would eventually slow him down; it's true that he isn't really showing signs of wearing out. Apparently he's not going to attempt the record in Berlin this fall but run New York instead (NYC could be interesting this fall with a couple rumors I've heard).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that he's running the half in NY, but wasn't aware that's taking the place of a Berlin record attempt.

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I misinterpreted that as the full, so yeah, disregard that part...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: