Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Injury Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Injury Update Reply with quote

I went to the doc this morning and he said to go back to regular shoes and start back to running when I felt like it. Right now my foot and calf feel very week so I will let the strength build back up before starting a VERY conservative rehab. The plan is to gradually work from walking through walking/running to running/walking to slow running to normal running. It will take several months but at least I'm back at it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me quite some time of progressing from light walking to long walks before I could even think about running.

Dan
BryanPT
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Core training and injury Reply with quote

Don't forget the core training as you transition back to running. We have started doing some research on running injuries and are finding that muscles that you wouldn't think to be weak are even though you may be pain free.
We had one runner (female collegiate CC runner) who had IT band pain almost a year ago and had "fully recovered" from it. When we tested her strength levels her hip abductors (muscle on the side of the hip) were 40% less on the side of her injury than on the other side. We deisigned a strengthening program to address her imbalances as well as the other members of the team. She completed the season without another injury and actually the entire team was injury free which was a first for the squad - with no changes in the training program.
You may expect some change with IT band pain, but I have also seen this following ankle sprains, plantar fasciitis as well as knee pain.
So as you focus on returning to running don't neglect the core training.
Best
Bryan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Bryan. I've continued to do crunches and Pilates exercises for the past 12 weeks. I've also gone to the gym to do weight training on the machines where I don't have to put weight on my foot.

Now it's time to test it and start the climb back to running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: