Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Looking Forward to 2003 WC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Looking Forward to 2003 WC Reply with quote

There was an article in this mornings USA Today about Kathy Freeman. Said she was back into serious training and was focusing on the 2003 WC's. That sets up the possiblilty of a great race between her and the Mexican lady whose name I can not remember.

Some other things to look forward to would be how the men's 100 shakes out, if anyone can run with El G, will Marion and Zhanna fight it out, can the US women take several medals with Teeter and Drossin and Marla, and finally what will K'nacher run and how well will he do?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Guevara vs. Freeman. There's also Merry, who I think may be the strongest of the lot if she can make it through a season healthy...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That would be Guevara vs. Freeman. There's also Merry, who I think may be the strongest of the lot if she can make it through a season healthy...

Dan

Hmmm ... I wonder ... Guevara looked awefully strong this past season ... She's now almost half a second better than Merry .. Don't get me wrong I've been a big Merry fan, but Guevara looked as good as anyhone has in that event in a long long time ... Freeman I'm not so sure about ... Hard to take time off and come back ... Many never make it back ...

Krummenaker will be interesting ... I expect him to medal at 800 ... Showed a lot of racing savvy last year as well as a good turn of speed endurance ... I think the 1500 is still a little too fast for him yet ... Now if he could get closer to 3:30.00 he would be in the mix ...

ON the women's 100, as much as I hate to say it until someone beats her Marion is the man !!!! Wink ... I think Zhanna has the best shot at dethroning her ... But she is going ot have to learn to not try so hard ... Just block Marion out and pretend she is not in the race ... When she can do that she will defeat her ...

As for Teter, Drossin, Marla, I like em all but .... Thier events are HOT ... I mean very HOT ... They're closing in but have a ways to go yet ... Teter may have the best shot simply becasue her races are the shortest ... But she has got to get her injuries under control first .....

Men's 100 ... Right own is a pick em until we see how everyone shows up at the start of the season ... All at their best I say Mo hands down ... But we will have to see how the off season treats em all ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really argue with that assessment. I just think Merry 2 years ago was as good as Guevara this past year up until the injury point. Guevara started the season not quite at sub-50, then broke through and made mid-49's a regularity. I don't think Merry was any worse than that early season, and if memory serves, she was actually significantly better.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perception is interesting ... Merry had a very good season then but nothing like Guevara's ... What made Merry's season stick out was that she had a 49.5 just before her injury ... She started out in the 51's ... Dropped to 50 points ... Then had a 49.8 (I belive) followed by the 49.59 ... Then she was hurt and didn't compete any more ... The lasting impression being that 49.59 and the fact that she was beign heraled as a favorite for the Worlds along with Breuer ... So she was on the verge, but not enjoying anything like Guevara's season ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I guess her early season form was actually pretty similar to Guevara's this year. Had she had a full season ... who knows?

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the questions MW posed I look forward too seeing answered. I don't know if anyone can run with El G but I'd love to see some people try. I tend to think that Mo will be back at the top in the 100 when all's said and done. Marion vs Zhanna, Marion all the way. Who knows about the American female distance runners, I tend to like Drossin and Teeter, but Ruyan is getting better, seemingly by the day. The only thing I think I'm sure of is that Krummenacker will continue to focus on the 800, it's worked well for him and I don't see him messing with a good thing.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she was injured in '01 and didn't show for '02 ... Not good ... Merry and Freeman are going to have a long way to go ... Guevara is going to have a major advantage over them ... As she is going ot start with a much better base to build on ...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good question is what events Marla and Drossin will run. Both ran excellent marathon debuts this year with Marla only being 17 seconds slower than Deena and on a course that is considered slower. So will they run the marathon or drop to 10K? For some reason I see Marla as the most promising of the two as a marathoner. Maybe because of the leg speed she brings from the shorter races she ran. Of course, right now Paula is the man...sorry Conway. Embarassed
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand... One thing we don't know about Guevara is how much better she could be with some competition, so that has to give her an edge regardless of how good the others come back.

I have to say, I feel very little excitement over the prospect of what the American distance runners will do on the track next year. The reason being that they seem to have forgotten how to get to the track this past year... I'm sure there will be more emphasis on the track in a championship year, but I have a very uneasy feeling that the classic example of The Dark Side is about to rear its ugly head...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it almost appears as if Amercan distance runners threw up their hand last year and said forget it !!!! Not sure what to think about it .... I know we've discussed it many times in different forums .... But it is ridiculous that we can't produce quality distance runners in this country ...

The women are competitive ... But I'm still not sure we're in medal range yet .....

Guevara will go under 49 this year .... We'll see if anyone else gets close ... A rejuvenated Freeman might ... Just hard after an extended layoff ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the women to do well next year. Dena was second at the world cross championships. I tend to think that Marla will stay on the track, and I hope Dena can as well. Championship marathons are way to unpredicatable for my taste. I personally think you should only run them if you have no shot of doing well on the track. Personally I think Dena will run the 10k and do well, Marla will also do well in either the 5 or the 10k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: