FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
I Volunteered

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: I Volunteered Reply with quote

I took my rehabbin butt over to a local 5K race this morning and volunteered. I was put out on the course as a monitor to make sure the runners didn't take a wrong turn. It was a typical small town race with about 150 runners and the top guy was a local college kid running just under 19:00. The top female however was another story. Surprised

Michelle Lafluer is a national class runner living in Savannah and sponsored by Saucony. When I saw her warming up I knew everyone else was running for 2nd. She ran 17:10 in what amounted to a time trial for her. My post was just a half mile from the starting line and when Michelle came by she had already put 100 yards on the field. They had to come back by me as they headed toward the finish and Michelle was close to 90 seconds up on that college guy. I wish she had had someone pushing her to see how fast she would have run.

In addition to being a national class runner, Michelle is a world class person. When she started her cool down run she ran back out onto the course and thanked all us volunteers! Very Happy

All in all it was a great morning. Now the lovely and charming Mrs Ward and I heading down to the coast for a seafood festival. All this rehabbin and volunteering requires nourishment. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent southern weekend all around! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Micah... that sounded like fun..
i just got back from the Toronto International expo... marathon is tomorrow.. but i have been sidelined for two weeks now and still in recovery with pneumonia(my lungs are my week point Wink )
so instead of running...i am going to hand out water.. the last 2mile mark is right by my home... handy.. so i hope to see the first..and last runners come in.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck, pneumonia can't be fun for running. Sad

Glad to see people getting some enjoyment out of the organizational side of the sport while sidelined.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah's the .... What's the seafood festival ??? I love seafood !!! Course I say that and as we speak I am bbq'ing ribs ... Only way to watch The World Series and college football !!!

Conway
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seafood festival is two dozen vendors in the park serving everything from alligator to mahi mahi. There are carnival rides for the kiddies and a stage with entertainment for the grownups.

Mrs Ward, her best friend and I started the feeding frenzy with shrimp, oysters and crab balls. (and those were some mighty big crabs) Wink
We moved on down the line for crab stew and rice with shrimp gravy. By then it was time to enjoy the entertainment.

We saw a dance troup from South Carolina and a rock band that did a creditable job of covering some '70s rock and roll. When the Elvis imitator took the stage though, the Mrs and her friend turned into shameless hussies. I would have been embarresed if I had been sober. Very Happy

The crowd was a pleasant mix of Lexus drivers from Savannah, soldiers from Fort Stewart, rednecks from the swamp, aging hippies and a small group of outlaw bikers. We topped off the evening with an oyster poboy and that sweet syrupy iced tea that you can only get in the deep south.

That, Conway, is a seafood festival. Ya'll come on down and try it some time. Very Happy
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
We topped off the evening with an oyster poboy and that sweet syrupy iced tea that you can only get in the deep south.

That stuff is the best, my dad's side of the family comes from Mississippi and when ever I visit them the sweet tea is something I always look forward too. Smile

I love to volunteer, I would do it more if time allowed. I'm glad you had a good time. I really think everyone should do it when ever possible, it makes you feel good and gives you an appreciation for what it takes to put on some of these events.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have an acquaintance in one of our outside crews up here who has his alligator meat flown in from Louisiana!! I don't think he'd survive a week without it!! Surprised
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now gator is good !!!! So is a good ole fashioned PoBoy !!!! My parents and grandparents were from the south ... Did I eat good growin up ... Wink ... Cook alittle myself every once in a while but no one else appreciates it the way I do ...

I used to volnteer a lot til I had kids ... As they get older though I plan to volunteer some more ... Lots of fun and a great way to watch competition as you get closer than normal !!!

Conway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: