Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runfar2win

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

i am currently injured and cant run. i have been going on the stationary bike every day for 30 minutes and have maintained by heart rate above 120. If i do this for two weeks, will i lose any fitness?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually maintain fitness for 2-3 weeks, possibly more if keeping some low intensity aerobic work in the equation, so you should be ok.

What's the injury and have you been told 2 weeks is the time necessary for recovery?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
runfar2win

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the injury is a metatarsal or something like that. its in the foot, basically my second and third toe of my right foot. but it also hurts on part of the foot too. the doctor said he didnt think it was a strss fracture from the x-ray, and that it is prob just inflamed and should be ok with a week or two rest. i am just worried that i am losing fitness. is 30 minutes on the stationary bike enough?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a metatarsal problem that wasn't clear if it was recovering from a stress fracture or nearing one... If there is any uncertainty, make sure to get a 2nd opinion and definitely get x-rays done. Coming back too soon due to a mis-diagnosis could lose you much more than a couple of weeks in the long run. Sad

30 minutes should maintain at least basic fitness, but you could up it a bit if you feel pretty comfortable at that level. My basic rule of thumb is that 2 hours on the bike is equivalent to 40 minutes of running -- I'm not sure what a good conversion would be for a stationary bike, but it's probably more on the order of 2:1 -- so you can equate your regular running level to how much aerobic work you should aim for to truly maintain.

Other low impact exercises you can do are swimming, pool running, arm cycle, and weight lifting.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have had 3 stress fractures in the metatarsal let me throw my opinion in here.

DO NOT RELY ON AN X-RAY Exclamation Exclamation

Stress fractures are best detected with a bone scan. I have had 5 stess fractures since 1994 and none of them showed up on x-rays but all were crystal clear on the bone scan.

Good luck.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if it depends on the nature of the stress fracture or the location? I know at least some stress fractures show up on x-ray...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that but the info I was given is that the stress fracture is more likely to show up on an x-ray after it has healed. But to detect it at the time the bone scan is much more reliable.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard MW is more or less correct. Also if not all stress fractures show up on xrays but all show up on bone scans then why not get a bone scan just to be certain. And as for bike to run conversion it's a little strange I know for calorie burning purposese it is about 2 to 1 in terms of time ratio, but at the same time if your breathing and HR are at the same levels as they are when your running then at least in some respects it can be 1-1 although, when handing out rehab assignments I usually split the difference.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also if not all stress fractures show up on xrays but all show up on bone scans then why not get a bone scan just to be certain.

I assume there are reasons of some sort, such as cost/insurance or safety (?). I know you're not supposed to have x-rays more than necessary, but I don't know if bone scans fall into the same category. Still, if you suspect a bone problem, that's probably a legitimate need for the scan!

Quote:
And as for bike to run conversion it's a little strange I know for calorie burning purposese it is about 2 to 1 in terms of time ratio, but at the same time if your breathing and HR are at the same levels as they are when your running then at least in some respects it can be 1-1

I think that simplifies things too much. One of the major differences between biking and running is momentum. Stop peddaling and you still move forward (not talking about uphill, of course). Stop running and you stop. As such, a lot more work is going into propelling yourself forward at all times while running.

Also, are breathing and heart rates really at comparable levels between running and cycling? I wouldn't think so... Top cyclists' race-time heart rates are reportedly lower than the average person's resting heart rate, and that's while cruising along in the middle of the pack at 30mph or whatever! Surprised

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that I was refering to exercise bikes. I rarely, if ever, have athletes ride regular bikes for the reasons you mentioned. Stationary bike riding is both more constant and safer, you can't rest on downhills and I've never seen anyone either fall off a stationary bike or get hit by a car while riding one. Smile
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, good point on the HR. Triathlon coaches say that each event has its own max HR, with running being the highest. So if rf2w is reaching 120 for 30 minutes, thats probably a fair workout. At this point he could vary that with 30 minutes being the minimum and hitting 40-50 a couple times a week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about that with respect to triathlon training. Adds an extra element, to be sure. I suppose that could be why so many triathletes live and die by the HR monitor...

Swimming wouldn't be the highest heart rate of the three activities? I know it is for me, but that might just be because I'm holding my breath and trying not to sink or zig zag too badly! Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong on that. Usually, the bike is lower than the run, but some have a higher HR in the biking segment. It has been attributed to inefficiency, but who really knows?? It is anyone's guess. A good place to start, concerning heart rates would be Marc Evans' book Endurance Athlete's Edge, pages 12-14.
I haven't given much thought to using an HRM while swimming. It might be quite useful while running in the water.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: