Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Revised men's all-time 100m career averages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few will ever match Lewis' longevity (at a high level no less), but his record seems quite spotty when compared to Greene's. Despite 8 years passing between his WC wins, he was playing 2nd fiddle a good number of those years in between...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would consider Mo's championship record at least equal to Lewis' ... The reason is that I think that while Lewis won them so far apart, he had the luxury of resting in between, which he did ... He targeted some seasons and not others ... There were individuals who were more dominant in between, but typically he focused on the long jump and didn't care as much about the 100 or 200 ...

Mo on the other hand has had to be "on" every year .. He has not had the luxury of "resting", but has had to be ready for the challenge year in and year out ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin sent me another update to this year's 100m lists, which is now posted:

http://run-down.com/statistics/mens_100m_top10.php

Enjoy!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnak you Justin ... Informative as usual ... You know Mo has run under 9.90 so many times it seems funny to realize that Tim is =#2 with Frankie for sub 9.90's !!!

Its also always an eye openerto realize how rare running sub 10 really is ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very in depth. I know I'm joining the conversation a little late, but where on earth would a person go about finding all those times, besides Justin, who keeps a list that indepth?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where on earth would a person go about finding all those times, besides Justin, who keeps a list that indepth?

Nowhere. That's what makes the list so invaluable. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan just doesn't want anone to know what is "sources" are ... There are several sites that have extensive all time lists in all events ... None however have gone throught the process that Justin has of categorizing them by athletes, averages, etc ... Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, I knew you would call me on that... Smile Yes, there are other sources that could lead to most of the information in Justin's lists, but you would have to do a lot of compiling to get the same usefulness out of them.

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually very little of the relevant data is available online. The deepest online 100m all-time performance list I can find doesn't go past 10.09.

I've been keeping 100m stats since 1982, when 10.20 was rare. My main list has every 100m time of 10.19 or faster - nearly 5,000 including windy times.

But to get the stuff for the top tens I've had to dig deep into my library. I have a 1982 book which lists every all-time auto-time of 10.50 or faster and its 1987 update. I have every ATFS book and a plethora of other annual lists, books, results sheets etc. Tilastopaya goes back to 1997 with very deep annual lists, they are an essential source.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The deepest online 100m all-time performance list I can find doesn't go past 10.09.

Good point. Other than National lists (which are also hard to come by), I can't think of anything that would fill out the 10.00 - 10.20 range that makes up the foundation of your lists.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/athletics_all-time_best.htm

http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/men.htm

Here are two of my favorite site ... Both very well kept .... The first will give very good performers lists (to 10.30 in the 100) ... The second will give very good performances lists ...

But nothing sounds as intense as Justins work ... It should be put online as well Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than '02 stats missing, the first link goes deeper in the lists than I had remembered...

Quote:
It should be put online as well

Hmm...

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll happily send my lists to anyone who is able to receive 2MB e-mails. They are all in Excel 2002 spreadsheets for ease of sorting, analysis etc.

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very tempted .. But if I do that answering your questions would never be as much fun again ... But that kind of information is near invaluable ... Have you ever thought about having your own site ??? Or collaborating on one ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value Justin's work very much and am always happy to post anything he wants to share with the Run-Down audience. Of course, I would also happily support him if he chose to set up his own site for that purpose. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: