Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Tim Montgomery Walks The Walk

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Tim Montgomery Walks The Walk Reply with quote

Tim Montgomery WORLD RECORD in Paris GP final:

Wind: +2.0

9.78 Tim Montgomery
9.87 Dwain Chambers
9.97 Jon Drummond
9.98 Kim Collins
10.03 Francis Obikwelu
10.05 Bernard Williams
10.20 Aziz Zakari
10.22 Coby Miller

Wow! Montgomery got the best start and he and Chambers pulled away. The race was really won in the last 20m - the BBC graphics showed that Montgomery actually hit his top speed (just over 27mph) just before the finish! A complete surprise - Mo Greene, John Smth and co were all there and their faces were a picture. Mo was gracious in an interview of course but looked stunned.

9.87 for Chambers equals Christie's European record, but he was more disappointed at losing than he was pleased with the time.

Wonderful stuff. Pleased for TM, who I like, and for the event, which had risked becoming predictable.

Jones (who apparently is now more than just Tim Montgomery's training partner, as her affectionate congratulations demonstrated) won as well, in 10.88, after Z P-B was dq'd for 2 false starts.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!!!! That is completely unexpected, by me at least. All recent indicators were that this would be a very ho-hum meet that isn't even worth covering on TV over here... Looking at those times, though, that has to be considered one of the best fields in history.

Is that the same facility used for the Gaz de France? The max allowable wind certainly helps, but that must've been a fast track. The following season best improvements were recorded, if the IAAF site is current:

Tim: 0.13
Dwain: 0.07
Jon: 0.07
Kim: (matches his best)

Not bad at all! If nothing else, I may have to catch SportCenter or something to try and see a highlight or two...

Dan

p.s. Justin, nice to see you around again. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often forgotten about Tim Montgomery is that he ran 9.96 as an 18 yr old in 1996. However, the wind guage (which read 1.7) was on the outside of the track and so sheltered so the time wasn't ratified. He's always had the talent.

So we should not be surprised that he could run so fast. Surprised that he did it today though...end of a long season, low-key meet etc. It's the same track as used for Gaz - this is actually the Gaz meet. Lovely conditions though - 2.0m/s and very warm. (How Mo must wish he'd had 2.0 rather than 0.1 for his 9.79!).

The BBC are showing it over and over again and what's amazing is that M'gery seems to surge between 80m and 90m. His speed maintenance in the second half of the race was astonishing.

Great to see. Now, how fast will Mo run next year? He'll be aiming for 9.70 - sub 9.80 is no longer his sole preserve. And, the World Cup next week starts to look more interesting.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Tim burst onto the scene back in '96, but I didn't realize he was only 18 at the time.

Given that speed maintenance, anyone know if he's ever run the 200m? His build looks equally well suited to it, if not better, but I have no idea how well he runs the turn.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
UKSprintCoach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: WR 100 Reply with quote

Awesome performance by TM and (as a Brit) I was pleased for DC. Mo will now have to show his true calibre next season....or will this deflate him too much coming at the end of such an awful season for him?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I've totally mis-read Greene over the past 5-6 years, I think he's the type that rises to challenges rather than shy away from them. (I would put his long time training partner, Ato Boldon, more into the latter category.) The question Conway has raised is whether Mo physically has enough left to remain at the top, which would be a different matter... If nothing else, next season suddenly became very interesting! Smile

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what do you know, the meet actually will be televised in the US:

Quote:
Walt Murphy's News and Results Service

GP Overall winners Marion Jones($150,000) and Tim Montgomery($250,000) are an "item".

The GP Final will be shown on ESPN2 on Monday night at 11pm(EDT). The men's 100 is scheduled to be shown on ESPN's Sports Center tonight.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think TM would be awesome in the 200m. His physique reminds me of Marsh. But now that he is the "World's Fastest Man", I think the magnetic attraction of that title and the 100m itself will keep him from fully realizing his potential in the 200m for now.

Plus, the 200m record just looks so daunting at this point. No one has even approached MJ's 2nd best time.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Golden League scheduling makes the 200m look much more daunting than does MJ's record...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... I was out all morning figuring the meet was going to be boring ... I get home and the WR had fallen to Tim ... First off congrats to Tim ... His mouth has turned me off on ocassion, but he is definitely a talent and has bee for some time ...

Regarding the 200 I belive his best is 20.39 if I am not mistaken ... And that is about 5 or so years old ... Would be interesting to see what he could do now ...

As much as I am a Mo fan I think this is the greatest thing that could happen to the event ... This season has been good because now Mo has to run to win and not just show up any more ... And of course this season (and losing his record) will wake him up ... Result should be avery hot 100 next year with at least 3 men in the World Champs final capable of an easy low 9.8 ...

But more than that we should finally see a lowering of the record to a level it should be at (like 9.65 or so) ... You have two guys who are 9.7s ... Bot have multiple 9.8s ... And Chambers appears to be approaaching that class as well ... A hot race with a major medal on the line coudl become the greatest race in history (ahead of MJs Oly 200) !!!!

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the race on Sports Center. They allocated 30 sec to it on an hour show!! Surprised Embarassed Mad Justin was exactly right about the last 20m (of course, he has had the opportunity to see it numerous times!! Thumbs Up ). The big question is: how much better will TM get?? His reaction time was a stunning .104 and the wind was right at the allowable limit. He hit it just right, today, and it proved to be a huge payday, on top of everything. My hats off to him for the way he has finished up the season.

I'll sit back now and take pleasure watching Justin, Conway and Dan dissect the race!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Paul
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet ... Been out most of the day ... But hope to see Sportscenter tonight ... And the whole meet tomorrow ... From what I have heard so far it was the perfect race in a near perfect environment ... So we will see ...

I do like to see competition ... Great things happen when you have great competition ... And it was starting to look like there was no competition in the event ... This season has changed that ... So it has been one of those transition years ... The question is what is the next level that is going to be achieved ....

Conway
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I would say the Golden League scheduling makes the 200m look much more daunting than does MJ's record...

Dan

I would agree with that ... In order to get goodo at something you have ot have the opportunity to do it .... And there are very few opportunitites to run a quality 200 now a days ... Granted there are multiple Worlds and the Olympics, but in order to get to the level that MJ was at athletes will need many more opportunitites than that ... They need Zurich and Monaco and Lausanne and others .... Until the 200 is treated more like the 100/400 it is going to be hard for anyone to focus on it enough to drop the great times ...

Conway

PS - where did that track news service come from ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see them drop the 400m from the schedule and replace it with the 200m, at least until some athletes start taking it seriously again... I find it embarrassing that good small college times could be competitive in the GL 400's this year, while sub-20 guys don't have an opportunity to compete!

Quote:
where did that track news service come from ???

Walt Murphy posts regular TV schedule updates to the t-and-f list. I think he posts the same to his subscriber list.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Tim's record race this weekend a few times (ESPN) .. The meet is scheduled for TV tonight (Ithought it was going to be last night) ..

Anyway ... If ever preparation met opportunity, it was in Paris ... Everything clicked ... Not a hiccup in the race ... Reminded me more of Ben's 9.79 than Mo's ... Mo was slightly behind at first in his race and just exploded by Ato for the win (around 60 meters) ... Tim as did Ben had that excellent start and simply accelerated from start to finish ... Tim ran a straight line down the lane ... Never looked in any direction ... And didn't slow or celebrate at the end - he ran through the finish ... Many have admonished him for not leaning, but leaning takes time to get the body down ... The ideal is what Tim did - run right through ... He was relaxed ... HE simply had a great race ...

Conway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: