Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Compiled list of athletes that missed this year

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Compiled list of athletes that missed this year Reply with quote

Now that the season is over... This was posted by myself at the end of another thread and deserves its own topic:

Quote:
Another possible route we could take next year is to allow new roster selections for each meet, but with tighter constraints, i.e. 2 selections per event but with only enough money to purchase one ringer for every 2 events. That ought to make things challenging enough to ensure variety to the rosters.

Furthermore, we could stick with the current single athlete-event pricing system (instead of trying to combine pricing across events), since we'd have the per meet selection flexibility and could even base the available event selections on what would be contested that week. Next year's selection pricing will be based on the '02 IAAF rankings tables, and we'll have the '01 tables at our disposal for filling in the gaps with people who sat this year out (Graf, Merry, Wolde, Freeman, Washington, etc.). We could take it a step further by allowing "write-in" selections. For instance, say Szabo doesn't run in any 1500's (she is ranked last year, but let's ignore that for the timing) this year but is entered in it next year. If someone wanted to select her for that meet, they could write her in at a pre-determined level for write-in athletes. To keep it simple, we would go with a single write-in price across events, probably comparable to what the top athletes are worth. Up to the individual to decide if that's worth it.

How's something like that sound? A lot more complicated than the current system, but food for thought...

The most pertinent piece is in bold. Let's try and list all the notable performers who missed this season (and last season, i.e. anyone who will not be listed in the '01 or '02 IAAF performance lists), so that we can can incorporate them into the game next year. If they missed this season and last (i.e. Cathy Freeman), then we'll have to make a write-in purchase price for them. If they missed just this season (i.e. Katharine Merry), we just have to make a note of it so I can manually add their ranking/price from a year earlier.

Women:

100m:
Christine Arron

400m:
Cathy Freeman
Katharine Merry
Marie Jose Perec

800m:
Stephanie Graf

Men:

100m:
John Capel
Justin Gatlin

200m:
John Capel

400m:
Tyree Washington

1500m/mile:
Alan Webb (?)

5k/10k:
Kenenisa Bekele
Million Wolde

Don't worry too much about the contested events at this point, as it's too early to tell what events will use for next year's game.

Also, let's list any "up and comers" we can think of that might show up on the lists next year that aren't currently included for selection, such as Coby Miller and Tayna Lawrence this year. Alan Webb is a possibility for next year, as is Justin Gatlin (not sure if their NCAA performances will show up on the lists)...

I'll edit this post and keep it current as suggestions pour in... Smile

Dan

Last edited by Dan on Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another for the men's 5k/10k list: Kenenisa Bekele. He of current XC dominance fame; I just read he missed the last track season due to an achilles injury but will be competing this summer.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this ... Let me see what I can come up with ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed Justin Gatlin is not listed for the 100m last year. Were his times maybe ignored due to the brief drug suspension? I'm pretty sure he ran well enough to have ranked in the top 100...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They stopped listing his times righgt after the suspension announcement ... He ran 10.05 and 19.86 I believe ... Was right there until the suspension ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could've sworn I remembered seeing his name on the lists... 10.05 should have gotten him listed no problem. Heck, I don't even see him on the 200m list, although it's hard to tell if the lists currently posted (damn IAAF site revisions once again) are for this year or last...

http://www.iaaf.org/worldrankings/

I'm guessing they scratched all his marks last year. Neutral

The next thing we need to do is figure who each "write-in" athlete is comparable to for points in their respective events. Anyone care to take a stab at that for the above athletes in the women's 400, women's 800, men's 200, and men's 3k/5k/10k?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... Well in the Women's 400 & 800 and in the Men's 100 & 200 I would think that each would be potential top 5 candidates ... Capel and Gatlin potential 1 & 2 in the 200 .... Washington easily #1 .. Distance runners its harder to say as their races have been sparsly run .. Could say top 10's perhaps ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go along with a 5-10 ranked purchase price for each of the write-ins. Maybe 5th place level for "can't miss" types like Gatlin and 10th place for major question marks like Merry?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would work ... A few of them could be "steals" ... But that is ok ... Gives them a "fairly accurate" point of reference ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A few of them could be "steals" ...

Maybe it'll encourage more people to check in on the forums here. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would be nice ... I am hoping that the FAntasy portion will be much more active this year ... Could be lots to discuss and chat about .... And a great way to keep up on athletes on one's team ... As well as develop some rapport witht the other "owners" ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so, too. With the forum being quieter of late as a result of various participant blow-ups, we'll need to all spread the word as much as possible about this year's fantasy league. The more the merrier...

I just got swamped beyond belief with projects yesterday, but I've got most of the '03 contest set up, including write-in athletes. One thing still in waiting is a possible modification to the pricing approach, but that may or may not happen. I'd like to get the new athlete list up on the site soon so people can start going through it and looking for any problems.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Blow ups ??? I haven't seen any blow ups ... Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... There are times when selective memory is a very desirable quality. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm ... That's called life goes on ... Agreeing to disagree .... Relationsihps being more important than the winning or losing side of a debate ... Ooops ... Did I say that ??? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: