Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Best Running Song?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Best Running Song? Reply with quote

Inspired in part by the favorite athlete thread and in part by the theme music from Star Wars that the events staff is currently blasting throught the Gyms sound system to test them out. Which for some reason makes me want to leave my office to check for Wookies in the hall way Exclamation

Anyway, back to the question. I am personally a fan of old fashioned kick you in the face Rock n' Roll for my running music. My top three are: 1) Welcome to the Jungle, Gun's n' Roses. 2) Back in Black, AC/DC. 3) Right Now, Van Halen.

Now there playing the theme from James Bond, better check the air ducts for spys!!! Surprised
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has responded to your post!! Surprised Now, I'm 53 so I'm not much of a Guns and Roses fan, or AC/DC, however, I'll go with any U2, Joshua Tree or earlier, Creed, early Ten Years After. I'll leave the Ventures Greatest Hits for Micah!! I could even do 200m sprints to Billy Idol!! Surprised But, in reality, I have never used headphones when I run. How about Alanis Morissette for those tough OAR intervals?? Nothing like some raw female angst music to ratchet up the intensity a notch!! Surprised Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would sure make me run faster.

Although I've never been one to listen to music as I run, I always liked to listen to thoose songs prior to the race to get myself mentally set to go out there and make my compotition (and myself) hurt. Every time I see an athlete preparing before a compotition on TV they always have a set of head phones on and I wonder what they're listening too. I started this thread to see what the Run-Down crew had in their discman's prior to a race. Appearently nothing worth talking about Sad
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of racing, Home Opener tomorrow?? The Ritz injury really has me in a funk. I'm expecting Team Guru to pull me out of it. Looks like I'll be following RMAC pretty close this year.

Here's another OAR interval song... Seal - Crazy

Hootie and the Blowfish 4 or so cuts on the first album (good enough for a 20 min LT run).

I'm kind of an Enya fan from way back, so there would be enough there to keep me going through one of the "Team Guru" brisk long runs.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been one to listen to music while running (Enya would lull me to sleep!), but if the converstation veers toward pre-race listening preferences, I've got a bit more to add...

In general, I find rap to be best before racing (it used to be all I listened to, anyway). Same goes for most sprinters and basketball players (similarly explosive sports) I've heard from. The first Das EFX album was my CD of choice for quite a while; particularly songs 3 and 10, as I recall.

Having said that, I think if I were to pick a single song that stands head and shoulders above the rest for just plain pumping me up (as long as I don't pay attention to the lyrics, which are alarmingly different than the general tone), it would be The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony, most commonly known as the theme of the mid-90's Nike commercials.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting Crows, first album. Rap, Dan !! Jeez I'd rather be picking my nose and listening to Green Day!! Surprised
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Peter Gabriel??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone who went to high school with the lead singer of Green Day... Quite the dweeb, supposedly.

Nothing like some good rap to get the juices flowing! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can believe it!! Now, there's a guy who needs some ephedrine and a few puffs of albuterol. His nasal passages are shot!! Surprised Twisted Evil
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get pumped up before a race there is nothing like Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell".

Return of The Grievous Angel is a tribute CD to Graham Parsons. The last track is In My Hour of Darkness by The Rolling Creekdippers. (I'm not kidding.) It is perfect to let run through your head for a tempo workout.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...speaking of the Breakfast Club, how about 2 of Simple Minds best, Alive and Kickin', and Don't You (Forget About Me)??
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't wear any music as i run... but it is certainly flowing in my mind...like a few of you.. i tend to listen to some different favs.. segression, coal chamber... lighten up with white stripes and 311...
a little loud maybe... but helps me concentrate.

used to listen to bjork and gob... makes me cringe..now.

alannis m? lol she went to my high school in Ottawa..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
alannis m? lol she went to my high school in Ottawa..

At the same time?

Dan
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops no.. sorry wasn't clear on that point was i?.
not at the same time... oh yes... paul anka also went to my high school..
went there same time and hung around my oldest brother..
.. strange i forgot all about that til now..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, it's still a claim to fame of sorts. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: