Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Run-down

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Run-down Reply with quote

Dan- Where does the name come from? I have some ideas, but I am not certain.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a play on words, on a few different levels:

1) run-down, as in decrepit, dishelved, or dillapidated (pick your favorite d-word)

2) run-down, as in get the full run-down -- "more links than a playground fence"

3) run-down as in running...

Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or have all the regular posters been a little run-down (pun intended) lately. Over the past couple of days it seems like posting has dramaticlly droped off. Just when I was appraoching the 1000 post barrier too. What's going on did everyone go on vacation?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My posting has really fallen off, but I spend more time here than anywhere else on the web. Most of the time I am just listening (I guess that would be reading) to what others are saying. I would imagine Dan is getting ready to move soon. Dan, when is your move in date?? I would like to help, but I better stay away from the heavy awkward stuff. Let me know.

DG, here is my Tuesday's track workout: 6 x 800 with a 400 walk and jog between each, all under 4:00 with the 5th one in 3:19. Over 5 miles for the total workout including warmup and warmdown. Haven't done anything like this in a year. I was really beat up after this was over. Haven't put in a workout over 3.5 miles, let alone breaking the 5 mile barrier for total distance. I think the arthritis arsenal has made a difference. That's one of the products from that nutritional site youngagain.com. Knee is finally starting to come around. Instead of taking 2-3 days to recover, it now is only a day after this kind of exursion.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good workout. When I was in college the first quaility workout we did every year was very similar. It was 10 x 800 with between 2:00 and 1:30 rest. It was usually a kick in the tale. It never failed that after about the 4th repeat coachd had ripped into about half the team for running the workout incorrectly (usually running too fast early or not giving 100% effort). But I'm sure he'd be proud of the way you ran that workout cutting the times down as you go.

What's in the cards for your next couple of workouts?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never know what the Tuesday workout will be. With the wetter, colder weather moving in, we've gone to the longer intervals, which is best for my recovery, personally.

My immediate goal is to increase my mileage gradually, especially the amount of time I can continuously run without taking a break. Remember this workout you outlined for vicki in June??

Quote:
Here is a sample week based on the information from your two posts.

Monday: Long (start with 4-4 1/2 and work up to around 6)
Tuesday: Normal 3-4
Wednesday: Normal 3-4
Thursday: Fast 2-3
Friday: easy 3-4
Saturday: A little longer than normal 3 1/2 to 4 1/2
Sunday: off

I am probably more partial to this, still, than the one you wrote in the Training section this month.

This would be what I would point for, but I am sure I won't be able to approach the final distances until Spring, maybe late Winter if I hold together.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you already hit on this and know this pretty well, but I'll say it anyway. The key is to hold together. I figure it's better to progress a little slower than you could and stay healthy than to move to fast and get hurt all over again. And just a word of advice watch out for those icy winter time side walks. Their the devil Evil or Very Mad
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tues workout was really over the top for me. I can't really use it as a general indicator of where I am shape-wise.
Normal winter weather in Oregon is fairly mild compared to the midwest and east coast. We don't have an abundance of below freezing temperatures. But once it gets wet, it will stay wet through most of May. The short days and cloud cover prevent any serious drying out. It doesn't rain hard, but can drizzle steady for hours at a time. An inch of rain in 24 hrs is actually quite a bit. The key is to be able to get out in the rain. After months, it can really get to you. But the way I feel now, if I'm healthy I don't care what its like outside, I've had too much down time as it is. But it becomes difficult to do fast training, and it doesn't do much for sprinters in the region, which is why you'll hardly see Oregon HS runners in the year end sprint lists.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is probably the thing I wonder about the most when it comes to Oregon and the pacific northwest. Coming from the desert I start to get bummed out after three or more consecutive days of overcast skies. And I still find myself amazed by fog, which is not something you see in New Mexico very often. I love to get out and run in wet weather since it was such a rarity for me, but I have trouble imagining more than a couple days in a row of cloudy weather. Good ole NM 300 days of sunny skys a year Smile
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a little slow on the posts lately. Confused

Well here is the southeast Georgia weather report. The heat and humidity have finally left us for the year and along with that the gnats and the mosquitos are dissapearing. It actually got down to 46 degrees last night.

I'm still walking right now and hope to start running right after Thanksgiving.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you might have timed this thing right (if there is such a thing as good timing for an injury). From what I've heard winter in the deep south is some of the best time to run, it cools off without getting real cold and that makes the humidity seem lower. Here in the mid-west we have really hot and humid summers with really cold winters, that along with our windy springs means that our best running days of the year weather wise are quickly coming to an end for this year.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we will occasionally get into the high 20's, for the most part it rarely gets below 35 where I am. Then most days it warms up to at least 50. So even in the winter I usually run in shorts and a sweatshirt at the most.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nice. Just so you know when I'm putting in a morning run at -20 I'll be thinking of that and pretending that's where I am.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, awesome job on the workout! Smile Micah, hope to see you running in a week...

Good to see you guys carrying on the discussion(s) in my prolonged moment of silence... As Paul suggested, moving was/is indeed the cause. This has been quite the ordeal, and it isn't even close to done yet. Just don't try calling me for a few days...

Quote:
It doesn't rain hard, but can drizzle steady for hours at a time.

Hours? Try weeks or months! Remember '94? Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon, I put in 2 sections over 2 miles for the first time since probably June. Nothing fast, just steady 9 miles/min stuff on a flat course. No ill effects afterward.

Have any trouble getting your cable modem up and running??

DG, was that -20F or 20F ?? -20 seems a bit cold this time of year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: