Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Have a blast volunteering!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Have a blast volunteering! Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I voluteered to help with the Nebraska Senior Olympics (at the track and field venue of coarse). I had a great time Exclamation This was the third year that I've done this (two here and once in New Mexico) and let me tell you it is always a great experience. The athletes are polite friendly and very curtious. I helped run the shot put, and with in three minutes of the conclusion of the event we had about ten athletes walk up to my co-workers and myself shaking our hands and telling us how much they appreciated us running the meet on for them. And the truth is that I probably had more fun than they did. With all the seriousness of college track and even in the high school and junior high meets I help host every year, it's nice to be able to put on a meet for people that are out there doing there best and really enjoying the sport. If any of you get a chance I highly recommend working at one of these meets, I really enjoy it and think that just about anyone that likes track will have an absolute blast. Thumbs Up Cool Thumbs Up
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post DG. Thumbs Up

We old guys really do appreciate the volunteers and I always let them know when I race.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the really neat things about the Sr Olympics is that athletes can compete in more than one state Olympic meet. So there is a group of people that all drive around in RV's going from one state games to the next. They always seem to know everyone and have a really good time. Maybe it's maturity, but I really admire how most Sr. Olympians seem to be able to balance striving to do their best and still enjoy themselves regaurdless of the out come.

Plus there is nothing that puts life into perspective like watching an 80-85 year old woman throw the javilen or a 90-95 year old man high jump. Smile

Hey MW, I know that some years are qualifing years (for the national Sr Olympics) and some aren't. Is there a national Sr Olympics this year?
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I'm just a young man of 46. Very Happy
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed My bad!!! You keep refering to yourself as an old guy and I was thinking you were somwhere in the 50-55 age range. Sorry Embarassed

I guess when you don't get to see the person you're talking too, these things happen.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. My image is of my own making. Cool

It would probably be interesting and fun for all of us regulars to actually meet in person. Maybe some day...........
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, if you make it up to Eugene for one of the Masters meets, maybe I'll volunteer as an official (I am USATF certified, but probably not for that level) so I can officially heckle you. Smile I'm not sure which of us would get the last laugh, though...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, I'm the guy in the 50-54 catagory!

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, have you ever competed in the Senior Olmpics? If not you should give it a shot. They have a 5k road race, a 1500 on the track, and if you don't mind doing a little booty shaking they even have a 1500 race walk. Which is always interesting because, I've never been to a meet where the officials had any experience with the event. So in order to even get a warning you practiclly have to sprint half a straightway.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been in a race let alone the masters. This is one of my short and long term goals now. I am hoping to get over these physical problems so I can train properly. I would love to run in 5K and 10K races.

By the way, would you ever consider starting a thread with a daily or weekly update on how your teams are coming along. I'd love to know. It's not like you'd name names at all, just comments on how training is going, what things you might be doing differently this year, how your athletes are responding, what kind of shape they came in from summer break, etc.

Paul

Last edited by Paul on Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oops, I'll probably get chewed out by Dan for not putting this on the correct posting topic.

Nah, it's Open Mic Night. Smile

20 year old roids? Those suckers could be potent after 20 years of aging, if they're anything like wine or parmesan cheese...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: