Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
New to the Forum, need a little advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: New to the Forum, need a little advice... Reply with quote

Hello.
I need some help creating a running program. I need to take about 4 minutes off my 3 mile run time in 10 months. I am 24 years old and run 3 miles in about 25- 25:30 minutes. There was a time in my life (about 6 years ago) when I could run it in about 21:30. Is it reasonable to take that much time off in 10 months?

I'm really more of a strength/power athlete, lifting weights 4-6 times a week. Kickboxing has helped my cardiovascular endurance as well, but for some reason I'm just a slow-ass runner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair amount of time to take off, but not unreasonable given your age and previous level of running fitness. I take it you aren't currently doing any running to speak of?

I would start by breaking down the paces. You're currently at about 8:25 per mile, and you want to get to 7:10 per mile. To do that, you'll probably need to be capable of 4-6 mile training runs at around 7:30 per mile. That's what I would build toward... Try to work in a mix of longer runs (4+ miles) at your current pace and shorter runs (as long as you can manage relatively comfortably) at the 7:30 pace. As the 10 months progress, try to bring the distance of the faster paced runs up to that of the longer ones, and you should be fine. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So how often should I run? I'm a little concerned about losing lean mass. I've worked awful hard to put on the mass I have. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs. I don't really have any desire to lose weight. I ran this week, but I'm not sure if I should be hitting it every day. I've noticed I can't run as well after I lift as I can running prior to lifting, probably due to glycogen depletion. I've always been indoctrinated to believe cardio comes after lifting.

BTW, the run time I'm striving for is the minimum requirement to acomplish what I'm setting out for. I'll be competeing with guys running 3 miles in 18:00 and less. (Marine Corps Officer Candidate School) I've been in for 6 years. (enlisted) But the commisioning of officers is not taken lightly and they are expected to be in better shape than the enlisted corps. I went through this course when I was 19 once before, but I dropped out of college and it's been to long since I completed it so I must return and do it again. When I went through it the first time I was running 21:30, but I was 30 lbs lighter. (although probably the same body fat percentage I am now.) The running is the only thing I'm concerned about. I've got the strength and all the knowledge and leadership stuff covered. If I can get my run time down it will be a 10 week vacation. (well, sort of...)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would shoot for 5 days a week. 3 days is barely maintenance, and 6-7 might be overkill considering the factors you'e mentioned. As long as you keep working on strength, I don't think you'll have too much trouble maintaining mass. We're not talking about heavy aerobic mileage here.

I figured your question had to do with a military test of some sort... Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me jump in here since I was an Air Force officer (hey, the Air Force is kinda like the military) Very Happy

I would suggest the 5 day schedule also. I'm not so sure you need to be running 7:30 pace though. During my 25 years of serious running (yes Dan, I am serious at times) I have noticed that I tend to race at a pace that is approximately 80 seconds faster than training. So if you need a 7:10 pace for the PFT you may be able to train at a 8:00-8:30 pace for 4 of your weekly runs. But once a week take it down to a 7:00 or under for 2 miles. That schedule gets you some faster running but may be safer for injury prevention and the last thing you need is an injury!

Caveat: This theory worked for me. If you try it, give it about 2-3 months then test yourself and see how fast you are. If you aren't satisfied with the progress then you may need to follow Dan's advice on the faster pace.

BTW, I took the PFT in 1983 and did 15 pullups, 80 situps and 16:11 on a road course that had a HUGE downhill.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Semper Fi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: