Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
2nd half of season begins next week...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: 2nd half of season begins next week... Reply with quote

The Weltklasse Zurich early entry lists are up:

http://www.weltklasse.ch/eng/index.htm

Looks like I have a fairly weak 4 entries at this point. Probably not enough to make any noise in the standings... If Teter switches from the 1500 to the 800, that could help my cause greatly...

We get another chance to see what Krummenacker can do against a quality 800m field after a lengthy break...

Marion and Zhana will be competing against each other in the 100 the following week in London -- finally!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked at my list yet ... Just as well I suspect .. Rolling Eyes ... But Zurich is usually the highest profile of the Golden League meets ... Competition is always hot as they have the biggest budget on the circuit ... Should be the most entertaining of all the meets ... My only complaint is that the meet is missing several events - just as the others have ... Takes away some excitement ... I remember when Calvin Smith became the first to run a same day double under 10.00 and 20.00 when he ran 9.97/19.99 at Zurich ... Things like that may never happen again ... Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed Garry Hill starting to increasingly refer to that problem with the Golden League setup. Maybe if more people complain loudly enough, the IAAF and meet directors will wake up and come up with a better system? I would hope the athletes are making some noise about it...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've updated the start lists. I'm up to 6!

Looks like Teter scratched from the 1500. She was a bit banged up at the end of the first half of the schedule. Anyone know if she's still hurting?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I've noticed Garry Hill starting to increasingly refer to that problem with the Golden League setup. Maybe if more people complain loudly enough, the IAAF and meet directors will wake up and come up with a better system? I would hope the athletes are making some noise about it...

Dan

I'm not sure the IAAF really cares ... Since the begging of the golden league there has been a reduction in events which has gotten progressively worse each season .. Unfortunately I am certain that it is tied to money and I don't see the money situation changing since most venues are already selling out !!! ADvertising within the stadiums (as well as I can tell from TV) is fairly well maxed as well ... So as long as the athletes are making the kind of money they are making (at least the stars) then we are probably going ot be faced with reduced schedules ... Unless they can get more TV money but then TV WANTS reduced schedules ... Or at least that is what we are lead to believe ....

Now on to Zurich ... Which has some exciting potential matchups ... Of coure the first one I am looking at is inthe Men's 100 where we may have a true, season determining showdown as Fredericks, Chambers, Montgomery and Greene are all entered ... Throw in Williams, who is always a factor and Collins who had the good race at Manchester and there is the potential for a hot time !!!!

Unfortunately we still have to ait for such a race on the women's side as P-Block is not there ... But I still think Marion may be vulnerable ... Wink

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as long as the athletes are making the kind of money they are making (at least the stars)

That may well be where the changes need to come. With the top stars getting $60-100k per race, there just isn't much budget to spread around for other athletes and events. Of course, that probably pales in comparison to the IAAF's take and what gets spent on drug testing...

That Zurich 100m does look like it could be hot. I saw that Williams and Chambers are entered in a US vs. Britain meet or something on Sunday, so I wonder if they'll both end up running each meet...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Chambers is running today .. He almost has too ... So far he has:

Beaten a sub par Mo Greene ...
Failed miserably at Commonwealtlh ...
Beaten a sub par Euro Championships field ...

He needs this race to claim some sort of legitimacy for ihs early "victories" ... At least as I can see ... I know a lot of people are proclaiming this his season ... And saying he is a far different athlete than before ... But if you look he really hasn't shown that ... He's lowered his PR by only .01 and that had stood for 3 years ... And he had to run a perfect race to do so ... Today will be big (one way or the other) in determining the status of Dwain Chambers ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that. Seems like he's scratching the surface of something "big" but hasn't quite realized the potential...

If I'm not mistaken, Zurich's international events get underway any minute now... +9 hours, right?

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, results are rolling in:

http://waprod2.bluewin.ch/hc_cust1/results/timetable.html

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far the results of the "minor" races ahve been quite impressive ... 1:43.6 in the "B" 800 ... 3:32 in the under 23 1500 ... Could be quite the firewords as the meet gets on ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed those rather impressive early results. Who would've thought Kimutai would be delegated to a B race??

No men's 110h hurts my chances of moving up this week, but I've finally got Beverly McDonald posting a solid time in the 100 (after scratching out of 3 or so of the previous meets) and Mauren Higa Maggi moving into 1st place in the long jump...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we speak we get the following out of the 100 heats:

Heat 1 (wind +.3)

1. 10.06 Fredericks
2. 10.07 Miller
3. 10.08 Greene
4. 10.09 Emedolu

Heat 2 (wind +1.6)

1. 9.93 Montgomery
2. 9.94 Chambers
3. 9.98 Collins
4. 10.12 Obikwelu

Gonna be a barn burner in the finals ... But with near maximum wind heat 2 would appear to be tapped out ... Greene's reaction time was only .176 which means he either fell asleep or didn't give this heat his full attention ... I would bet on number 2 ... Chambers had near perfect for him reaction of .148 so at about his limit on the clock as he was run down by Montgomery who had a eaction of .165 ...

All htings being equal in the final (everyone with same wind) I am going out on a limb and saying :

1. Greene 9.86
2. Montgomery 9.90
3. Fredericks 9.93
4. Chambers 9.96
5. Collins 9.99

But, what do I know ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A national record and PR in a prelim, not too shabby... I assume all the time advancers will be from the second heat, so Crawford won't squeak into the final... Oh well, at least I've got a shot with Frankie.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is even better ... Check out the Women's 1500 ... And what happened to our running commentary person ???

1 SZABO, Gabriela ROM YB 3:58.78
2 FAVOR-HAMILTON, Suzy USA 3:59.10
3 TUROVA, Alesia BLR PB 3:59.89
4 ZADOROZHNAYA, Yelena RUS PB 3:59.94
5 99 YORDANOVA, Daniela BUL PB 4:00.65
6 92 VARGA, Judit HUN NR 4:01.26
7 97 GORELOVA, Natalya RUS 4:02.47

Is Suzy completely schizoid or what ????
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She keeps us guessing, that's for sure... Looks like that was quite the race.

Quote:
And what happened to our running commentary person ???

Hey Steve, where are you? We need you back! Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: