Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
What is the fastest a human being can run?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ot agree with Dan ... Not trying to discredit you, but I do not quote things that have no validation ... Of all the times you've given the only one I've seen quoted is Donovan's from the 96 Games ... But I would still love to have the data to go over - I'm just that kind of guy ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
Some other races to consider ...
At 19.32 it is likely that MJ (as much as I hate to say it) may have had the fastest top end speed ever at some point during that race, as he was somewhere around 8.8 during the second 100 of the race ... On that note there have been several 8.8x relay legs run in the 4x1 the best being an 8.85 by Lewis I believe ... That and MJ's 200 are very comparable as far as top speed goes ... I might be inclined ot lean an little more to Carl's anchor as it involved acceleration and MJ's race was more speed maintanence at that stage of the race ...

Finally there are some notoriouslly slow starters of the past who certainly had extreme top end speed ... Three that stand out vividly in my mind are Tommie Smith, Steve Williams and Clancy Edwards .... Three extreme closers ... If anyone has ever seen replays of the '68 Olympic 200 final, Smith's stretch move was pure acceleration...

I was just viewing some of my old posts. The posts which were pre-2003, the ones about the Fastest Speeds Ever Reached By A Human Being. I had just started posting on Track and Field forums, and I had no clue about the class of discussions on the Run-Down Forums. However I do know!!!

Anyway. From my Video Analysis of MJ's 200m WR in Atlanta, the Fastest 100m section which I have found is 8.76s from 40-140m.
That eclipses any 4x100m anchor leg which the King has ever run.

Regarding Tommie Smith's Mexico City 200m. He acceleration during the stretch was absolutely incredible. If I can find my Video of that race.
Which displays the full race from the gun to the bend to the finish, and it's in full colour!!! I know it's the '60s, but if I can find some marks on the track possibly some analysis is in order. I will have to check deeply into it though to get clear footage.

I've never seen any footage of Steve Williams or Clancy Edwards, but I hear nothing but good comments on thier great closes and their fierce Top end speed...

I have found this from the archives of the IAAF Forums (Champions Corner forum): It comes from Pierrejean.

''PJ has compiled a list of the best ever speeds measured''

Top Speeds of which human beings have achieved
(Men)

28mph(12.51m/s), by Carl Lewis in Los Angeles 1984 OG final won in 9.99s. That was the speed mesured by Swiss Timing for his last 2 meters. The accuracy is mediocre! (source Track & Field News October 1984)

44.88km/h (12.47m/s), by Bob Hayes in 21 June 1963 during his 9.1sWR for 100y. He was hand-timed at 60y in 6.0s and at 75y in 7.1s, worth 1.1s for 15y. This is a catastrophic accuracy... For that same race, PJ has found 2 other speeds: 43.5km/h (12.08m/s) and 43.291km/h (12.02m/s) but PJ doesn't know what has changed in the measurment... (source Quid annuals)

0.81s, for a 10m section which is worth 12.34m/s between 60m and 70m by Ben Johnson in Zürich'85, in a 10.03s race. This is from a video analyse made by his coach Charlie Francis. PJ says whilst viewing the video, it is one of the most incredible races that he has seen, his acceleration at the mid-race was enourmous, and he stopped running 10m before the line(recording a 1.00s last 10m Split! When he was in shape to run the last 10m in around 0.84-0.87s!), missing probably the then-9.93sWR. PJ does not know much about the accuracy of the 0.81s for Ben found by Charlie.

12.1m/s, by Ato Boldon (in semi-final) and Donovan Bailey (final) in Atlanta'96 OG according Swatch Timing with the Laveg system. The accuracy again is not great as it doesn't permit to have one centimeter(cm) precision. (source La Fabuleuse Histoire De L'Athlétisme, R.Parienté)

0.83s for a 10m section worth 12.05m/s, by Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson in Seoul'88, also by Lewis in Tokyo'91 by Donovan Bailey in Atlanta'96 according IAAF scientific studies (source Biomechanical Research Project Athens 1997). PJ has found also 0.83s from his Video Analsyis, for Tim Montgomery during his 9.78s 100m WR.

11.95m/s, by Tommie Smith during his 19.5 straight 220y WR in 1966. His last 20y was timed in 1.53. (source; 200m et 220y Temps Automatiques 1932-1982,
J-C.Patinaud)

11.91m/s, by Donovan Bailey in Athens 1997 4x100m final during his 8.94 anchor leg.
Maurice Greene and Bailey reached 11.87m/s during the 100m final. These are instantaneous running speeds measured by a laser system Laveg, more accurate than in Atlanta, finding the distance each runner covers in every 0.2s(1/5th of a second).

11.90m/s, by Jonathan Edwards (!) for his run-up speed 1-6m to the board from the biomechanical study of his 18.29 Triple Jump WR in Göteborg'95 made by Leif Dahlberg (source Track stats November 1995). Dahlberg found also that Wellman ran at 11.63m/s.
Jumpers are trained to reach a maximum speed very early and in a very short time. But they are unable to maintain it long enough to run at the same level than the 100m sprinters.

Actually, some coaches like John Smith thinks that running 5 consecutive 10m sections in 0.85s is better than peaking at 0.83s and losing your speed until the finish line. Greene probably ran close to 0.83s, but it is not his goal, he wants to run the best final 100m time possible, not the fastest maximum speed.

Regrading MJ's 19.32: From PJ’s analysis of video tapes with 25hz (points of view: finish line from the top of the crowds in front of the 100m line), 45hz (travelling at height 1m from 150 to 200m) and 91hz (from the crowds at 150m) this gives a 0.86s Fastest 10m section between 100m and 110m.''

PJ also adds this to the list;
The ''Biomechanical Analysis of Sprinting: Decathletes versus Champions'' by Kunz and Kaufmann (Brit. J. Sports Med. - Vol.15, N°3, September 1981).

For champions, they recorded with a 16 mm Locam camera (100 Hz) placed at the 70m mark the first 3 of the 100m final in Zürch international meet in 1977 (1st place, Steve Williams 10.16s, 2nd place, Don Quarrie 10.22s, 3rd place, Steve Riddick 10.25s). They searched stride length and stride frequency for 4 strides, and from that data, we can find their speed: 12.04m/s, 11.88m/s and 11.72m/s (as data are from graphics, the results are anonymous).

X King says:
I have found a page which gives clear evidence of Donovan Bailey's Top Speed in the Atlanta '96 OG Men's 100m Final.

Link:

http://web.tin.it/raitgs/atlanta96/news/2707/100M27.JPG

Last edited by X King on Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:01 am; edited 4 times in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Edwards got moving that fast?!

Interesting that MJ's best 100m split came so early in the turn... 30-40m is a fairly typical acceleration zone, and from that point on he was at top speed despite still being in the bend.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Jonathan Edwards got moving that fast?!

Interesting that MJ's best 100m split came so early in the turn... 30-40m is a fairly typical acceleration zone, and from that point on he was at top speed despite still being in the bend.

Dan

I and a few others and somewhat doubtful about the speed in which Jonathan Edwards achieved. It seems almost toof ast for him!
For him to be travelling at 11.90m/s would indicate a 10m Split Time of 0.84s(!)
The world's top sprinter's are only just running faster than that for their fastest 10m segments.

And yes Dan MJ's Fastest 100m section of his 19.32s was pretty extraodinary as it started 30-40m into the race.

Last edited by X King on Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that Edwards ever went that fast ... I've never even heard of a decent 100 time for him ... And at that rate of speed it is doubtful he could have controlled it well enough to execute the jump ... My own opinion of course ...

regarding MJ ... That does not surprise me ... Reason being is that he always depended on coming first off the turn in order to win his races .... MJ never ran anyone down from behind ... But always buried them from the front ... He did not have great mid race acceleration nor great closing speed ... His greatest ability was being able to hold speed ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: