Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Running my 5K- how did it go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
falconpilot
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Running my 5K- how did it go? Reply with quote

Alrighty, well......

Having never run a road race before I was very pleased with myself!
For the first 1.5km........I kept a steady, slow pace. At >1.5km I started a gradual rate of acceleration and by 3.5 km I reached that stage of aerobic respiration whereby I was breathing hard and maintaining my peak- speed starting to force my body to give up physically and really fight for survival. In my opinion I started and kept my max speed a little early....as by the last 500m I was a little too slow.
For a first- timer I was pleased with myself. I read- up and used a few tricks. During the race I sped up to gain a place nearer the front then recharged my batteries by running directly behind a runner. When recharged I followed the same pattern. I also pissed off my fellow participants by 'aggrevating them to go too fast'...I provoked them to push it hard and so later I caught up with them...the kniving novice didn't do too bad eh??!!
I am no talented runner so my time was pretty average I reckon, but one aspect I was rather pleased with was my mental attitude. I mean my heart was pounding, muscles were burning and was constantly aware of getting to the front and keeping my body goin to the max.....my mental concentration kept me there. I ignored the crowds and how stupid i must of looked inhaling and exhaling hard; eyes all thin and focussed! My time was 19:10 (19min 10sec) which i was pleased with. (Please all the pro's reading this; don't laugh!)
My training had paid off. I succeeded in surviving......heart rate recovered 1.5 min later and I'm ready to run again. I am a little more experienced now. I owe a lot to my goal of being a fighter pilot, this is something I've always wanted, so all I have done is run and exercise in various ways always at 105%......and whenever I'm killing to give- up during a run I always have this picture of pulling around 9G's, making the turn and successfully completing the manoeuver! (Crazy I know...it works though....)
I guess the question now is: How do i improve?
- intend on keep up high intensity training at about 60-80% of heart rate (203 bpm)
-increase distance run to 6km
-continue 2.5km 'sprints'
-continue more hill training-get more experience

Now all you professionals David would really appreciate advice here on how to improve speed and stamina and really to excel. I mean everything..tactics to- food eaten to- training work outs. Do tell.

Thanks for the previous advice (great help)
Dave
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations on your race Cool

It sounds like you are on the right track. From what you mentioned in your previous post the only thing I would add is more longer runs. For a good 5k runner the long run should reach around 15k (three times race distance) once a week. The pace doesn't have to be as fast as normal runs, but should be steady. And of coarse you shouldn't just start running that far right away. Just work on increasing your long run by increasing the distace by 1k every two or three weeks.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations David! Very Happy

Your time is excellent and I would say you are on the way to making great improvements. DG is right on track with his advice.

And by the way, I haven't run a 19:10 since I was in the Air Force 19 years ago. So you are faster than some of us on this forum!
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an amazing coincidence Falconpilot, because your training is [/i]exactly the same as mine! I'm 18 now and have been doing it for two years, over varying distances, but for the last 6 months or so, I have been doing 5 "laps" of my "circuit", which just happens to be 550 - 560m long! What is your circuit? Mine is down the street, into the next one and around to the start. Also, my brother wants to be a pilot, and is learning to fly a Tiger Moth right now ( an old bi-plane ) When I started a typical lap would be 3:30 Sad Now I've got it down to about a 1:45 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4ths of around 2:00, and a last one of about 1:50.
Recently I've been trying to get them more even though, so run around 1:55 for the 1st 4, then about 1:50 for the last, as guys on this forum said it was a better way to train. I still can't believe what a coincidence this is!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: