Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
HEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saucie517

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: HEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!! Reply with quote

hello runners!

in a little under one month, i will be running a 7 mile road race. now, i know for some of you that is a walk in the park, but for me it is a different story. this girl here has never been a "runner".

my only goal is to complete the race.

i tend to shape up quickly so at least i have that going for me. however, ive found it hard to run continuously. my breathing is terrible. if anyone could help me out with a good training routine to build my way up to 7 miles i will forever be indebted to you. from mile one and on.

thank you, jess
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Helllllllp Here I Ammmmmmmmmmm Reply with quote

Dear Saucie: You didn't say how far you can run now. May I assume one or two miles?

That being the case, you can *finish* a seven mile race, but there is no safe way you can train to *run* it in only 4 weeks.

What I suggest you do (for training as well as running the race) is to go out in a jog/walk pattern of three or four minutes of easy jogging and slightly less than one minute of brisk walking - repeated ad nauseam.

If you find that jogging continuously for three or four minutes is too much, cut back to two or three - or even one. However, keep the walking breaks to under one minute each.

Good luck, you can do it. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo Mike's advice about the walk/jog method. Another way of training would be to get on a track and walk one staitaway and then run around the rest of the track. Gradually increasing the number of laps you complete. But in order for me to give you more specific advice I'd need to know what your doing now as far as exercise.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the above advice, 4 weeks is not a lot of time to work with, especially since you'll want to back off a bit the week of the race to avoid being too tired from all this new and unfamiliar activity. Look at it as something fun and don't put pressure on yourself to finish in a certain time or run the entire way, and you should be just fine.

DG, congrats on your new status. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500,DG: very impressive number. Dan, since Jess is starting from scratch, I would imagine she should be able to train right through with maybe only a day off before the meet. By this, I mean she wouldn't need a taper week.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right, but it depends what she does between now and then. If she's done no running up till now, 3 weeks of trying to build up could be pretty taxing. It might take a light week just to uncover whatever fitness has been developed in that time.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
DG, congrats on your new status. Smile

Thanks, from what I've seen on the member list the only two people with more posts are you and Conway. Although I seriously doubt I'll be able to catch either one of you. At least not in the next two years. Cool
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saucie, the walking breaks will be the key to your success. Combine it with a low key approach.

Walt Stack said,"Start slow. Then taper off."

Unfrotunately that has been adopted as the team motto for The Fighting Warthogs. Crying or Very sad
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing...please keep us updated on your progress and your results. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: