Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
what's up with US men in the 800m all of a sudden?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Krummenacker but, as you pointed out he hasn't beaten Bucker, or Borzo. But he also hasn't beaten Patrick Nduwimana or Wilfred Bungei. And what about Wilson Kipketer, has he retired? Anyway my point is he still has some pretty tough athletes to beat. And with this being a non championship year with a lot of the top guys not competing it is hard to get a real good picture of what next year is going to look like.

And as for age and it's role in race times maybe there is some sort of delay for Americans while we make up for our undertrained youth. But of the three medalists at the last world championships Bucher was the oldest, 25.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Webb !!!! If he can't get it done with that, then he just can't get it done ... I think that sets him up very well for success ... Did the source you got this from say anything about schooling ??? Just curious as to the other "distractions" he will have in his pursuit ...

If you remember I was not a Krummenaker fan earlier when discussion of him came along !!! What he has done in the last month has been impressive to me .. I'm not putting him on a medal podium just yet ... But I will say he has elevated his game enough to be in that class ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In somewhat the vein that Conway speaks of, it appears to me that both Krummenacker and Teter have taken significant leaps this year in terms of training and committment. So 28 yoa may not be the most important factor in determining how much more improvement is left. It would be a different story if they were both 32-33.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remeber correctly Webb will be going to James Madison University which is near his home.

I think the improvements that both Krummenacker and Teter have made recently have more to do with the fact that they both recently changed coaches and got into systems that seem to be working very well for them. They also both have said that their dedication to the sport has increased recently as well. You get out what you put in.

Conway I think you are right. Krummenacker has reached the level of someone who can challenge for a medal. While those other runners are favorites for a medal.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the article:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20020718-16634094.htm

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the last report I saw on Webb and school was that he was going to George Mason U. which is closer to his home than JMU.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Mason makes sense to me ... If I am not mistaken they have a very nice indoor facility !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even notice it when looking over entries for the Fantasy game, but take a look at today's 800m field:

CZAPIEWSKI, Pawel POL
SOM, Bram NED
YIAMPOY, William KEN
AISSAT, Nicolas FRA
KIMUTAI, Japheth KEN
BUNGEI, Wilfred KEN
KRUMMENACKER, David USA
BUCHER, André SUI
SEPENG, Hezekiél RSA
KIPKETER, Wilson DEN
BORZAKOVSKIY, Yuriy RUS
MARWA, Joel KEN

That's got pretty much all the major players, so we'll know a lot more about where Krummenacker stands in a few hours.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on. I'd love to see Krummenacker do well.

Dan, this is the first race I've seen Kipketer in for a while. Has he just been training? Or has he been injured or just taken time off?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything about Kipketer's status. I hope he's healthy and in good shape, but I've got no info. I would probably rate him the most enjoyable runner to watch ever, so you could say I'm a fan. Smile

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Kipketer makes him so enjoyable to watch? I haven't seen him race that much and when I did it was pretty much him destroying the field, very impressive.

I guess we've all got our personal favorites, I've always loved to watch Legat run. In my mind he has the smoothest stride and running style I've seen.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the way he floats along (he's been described as not touching the ground) and completely controls races. Plus the cheerful attitude that surrounds him. The first time I saw him run was the '95 WC. The field was fairly strung out and he was at the back of the pack with 200m to go, yet he won handily going away. It almost looked like he was on a bike and took a while to get up to speed, but blew by them once he had momentum (try pacing someone doing speedwork on a bike from a standstill and you'll know what I mean).

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipketer is butter ... As fluid a runner of any kind I have ever seen ... No wasted motion at all ... And a marvelous sense of timing ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess any time off Kipketer took didn't add any rust. And Krummenacker passes a major test running under 1:44 and beating some really good runners. Anthough I was surprised that some of the really big names (Boucher and Borzakovskiy) didn't run terribly fast. Still Krummenackers stock is rising and rising fast.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier in the thread:

Quote:
I say he has to drop his 800m time three-quarters of a second before much can be made of the two wins.

Today's 2nd place finish takes him from 1:44.83 down to 1:43.95. Ok, time to take him seriously. Smile

1 37 KIPKETER, Wilson DEN YB 1:43.76
2 38 KRUMMENACKER, David USA PB 1:43.95
3 41 SEPENG, Hezekiél RSA SB 1:44.39
4 35 CZAPIEWSKI, Pawel POL SB 1:44.56
5 36 KIMUTAI, Japheth KEN SB 1:45.12
6 32 BORZAKOVSKIY, Yuriy RUS 1:45.44
7 31 AISSAT, Nicolas FRA SB 1:45.53
8 34 BUNGEI, Wilfred KEN 1:45.69
9 42 SOM, Bram NED 1:46.25
10 33 BUCHER, André SUI 1:46.38

Bucher and Borzo must be a bit off form from racing so little since last summer, but the same didn't seem to affect Kipketer. I'd love to see Wilson dip back into the mid 1:42's as an indication he's coming back strong...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: