Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
DN Galan next up

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: DN Galan next up Reply with quote

The next installment of our little fantasy dance rolls around quite soon, with the famed DN Galan on Tuesday. Start lists are posted:

http://www.dngalan.com/

A few notable absences, including ElG in the 1500, Marion in the 100, Hissou in the 5k, and Garcia in the 110h. I imagine those start lists are still subject to change, of course.

Drum roll please ... we finally have a women's 800m field to get excited about!!!

Looks like I've got 8 athletes schedule to compete, which is roughly 8x the norm... Micah, check your rearview mirror. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so fast dude. I got 5 there and they have all scored points this year. I'll be out of town Tuesday night and in an all day promotion board on Wednesday so I won't get to check results until Wed night.

Wish me luck...not in the meet but for the promotion...I'll need it. Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it a promotion board means a panel you beg for a promotion from? If so, good luck! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Micah ... Don't skin your knees ... Wink

Will see about DN Galan ... Is usually a good meet .. Too bad I won't have representation ... I have good people ... Just in wrong events ... And of course the ole injury bug ... I think I need a new team ...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking over the start lists ... Gonna be some good races ... The 110H will be contested ... I can't understand how any meet can run without it ... One of the more competitive events on the circuit ... Hate to say it but looks like Garcia has come into his own ...

Teter is going to be back in the 800 and will have to go up against Mutola .. A big test for her ....

We'll see if TimMontgomery can run fast and win without Mo in the race ... Although Bernard Williams will be there and is no dog ... Also look like Lewis Francis is scheduled ... Although he had some hamastring trouble apparently at the AAA ...

Alvin Harrison will be in the 400 ... Would be nice to see a quality 400 time for a change ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hate to say it but looks like Garcia has come into his own ...

I'm curious why you say "hate to say it?" Figure of speech, or were you hoping to see continued American dominance?

I agree the 110h is probably the most consistently competitive and exciting event year in and year out, even though I'm not a huge hurdling fan. The top 6 or so guys go at it every time out on the track. No ducking each other or switching between events. At least, that was the case until this year...

I've been meaning to ask -- probably better for the general forum but I'm already here and the topic has been broached -- who does the abridged meet format appeal to? My thoughts:

- definitely not the athletes

- probably not the spectators (unless ticket prices have been reduced 50%)

- US TV shouldn't care, unless they find a shorter meet makes their chop shop editing less time consuming...

- international TV perhaps, if they show it live in its entirety

- meet promoters most likely, as they probably draw just as much gate receipt and ad income, but have much less to pay out in the way of appearance fees and prize money (less athletes), shorter meet (electricity, officials), etc.

Any other areas I've missed? Sure seems like the wrong people are benefitting in this... Sad

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say hate to say it, becasue I hate to see the US not in the dominant position ... I think I said a year or so ago that GArcia was going to be the next dominant hurdler .. I've been expecting him to rise to the top ... He has all the tools ... And I believe in large sprinters and hurdlers (as opposed to the lithle/little guys) ...

The other conversation we should take to the general forum ... Personally I see NO ONE benefitting from the Euro meet formats ... I think it is a lose lose if you ask me ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the meet format topic is being moved to the Rambling Runners forum...

I agree about big, strong sprinters, and generally also for hurdlers (although the gracefullness of the wiry types seems to be a benefit).

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ... There have been many mnay graceful big spritners/hurdlers ... As a matter of fact I tend to think that the little guys are almost too "staccatto" in their movements ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question about the sprinters. I think it's the hurdlers where there isn't much difference in success between the power and nimble types. I mean, it doesn't get much better than Allen Johnson and Colin Jackson, the two fastest ever on the clock! (and Kingdom in a tie for 2nd, but he's a big guy so that doesn't help my case Smile )

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see the hurdles in for Tuesday since I have Alan Johnson. In fact this meet could be one where I get some significant points with the way the start lists look.

Dan, we could close in on Conway this week! Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now, let's not get carried away! Smile I am itching to break into the top 100, though...

Looks like I'm down to 6 entries for the meet. I think I had miscounted one person previously and had another scratch.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
No question about the sprinters. I think it's the hurdlers where there isn't much difference in success between the power and nimble types. I mean, it doesn't get much better than Allen Johnson and Colin Jackson, the two fastest ever on the clock! (and Kingdom in a tie for 2nd, but he's a big guy so that doesn't help my case Smile )

Dan

If you look at the guys that have run 13.00 or better:

12.92 - Colin Jackson
12.93 - Roger Kingdom
12.93 - Allen Johnson
12.94 - Jack Pierce
12.98 - Mark Crear
13.00 - Tony Jarrett
13.00 - Anier Garcia

All but Jackson and Johnson are large hurdlers !!! Wink ... Same for the group under 13.10 - with the exception of Mark McCoy ... I don't think any of that helps your case Dan Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garcia doesn't seem like an especially large hurdler. I'd call him medium. I don't remember overly well what Jarrett looks like, but I seem to recall him being a similar build. As for Crear, he's always seemed to big and stiff to have much room for improvement... So, I still say [male] hurdlers have plenty of examples either way, with no group clearly having an advantage.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a picture of Nehamiah. What was he built like?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't he under 6' but with extremely long legs. Inseam of 38" or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: