Training Talk
quick fix or long term progress

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Dog- Using 50 mpw training (5k) and then cycling up the long run from 13-20 miles (in 9 weeks) could produce a decent begining marathon but wouldn't you advise a longer time period to build up the distance of LT runs and have the runner do some longer, harder aerobic runs.

I've trained for the 5k (with my runners) for the last 5 years running a sytem that is very close to the one that Dan described and I have been weary of moving my racing up to the Marathon distance for the above reasons.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't you think that the life long runner would increase speed mileage and aerobic mileage???

That would make sense, but what timeframe does that require be looked at? In other words, a mid-distance runner early in high school has about 10 years until they're nearing their peak -- where would that fit into the lifelong development curve?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
The more successful an athlete is we will find that he or she is strong in all areas not just one or two, and therefore a coach needs to develop all areas.

I think you are right. That said the nature of the debate that Dan and I have is more about how to balance and address each of these areas to have the greatest success training an athlete. I seriously doubt either of us would say that one type of running (LSD, VO2, LT, speed ect) should not be done in training. It is how much and in what way do you use each type of training in conjuction with the others that causes the variance between every runner in terms of training. And the results of that arrangement and order determines how that runners training changes or adapts over time.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: