Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
high school distance time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicki
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: high school distance time Reply with quote

What running time should a 15 year old girl get when running a 2 1/2 mile race? Not breaking records,just not to be the last person coming in.On the adverage she is 22:00.Can you give her some tips on how to take time off her runs?Thank you Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly have no idea what would be competitive for a distance as unusual as 2.5 miles. Since a 5k is 3.11 miles and a 3k is 1.86 miles, I would suggest calculating a time based on a straight conversion from both the longer and shorter distances (for whatever level of competitiveness in your area is desired), then average the two out in the middle.

As far as how to improve, I don't believe in giving advice without knowing more background info, such as what's been done to date.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Nebraska our cross country race are 4 kilometers which is about 2.48 mile which is probably the same distance that your daughter is running. A good goal for her would probably to run under 20 minutes this cross country season. That wouldn't have her breaking any records but it would keep her well clear of last place in most invitational meets.

As for getting faster she simply needs to run more. Nothing fancy just run, she should go for one run a week of two or three miles where she trys to run fast, and she should go for one run a week where she runs longer than usual. She should also take a day off once a week.

Here is a sample week based on the information from your two posts.

Monday: Long (start with 4-4 1/2 and work up to around 6)
Tuesday: Normal 3-4
Wednesday: Normal 3-4
Thursday: Fast 2-3
Friday: easy 3-4
Saturday: A little longer than normal 3 1/2 to 4 1/2
Sunday: off
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally respond to the "distance advice" questions because I am certainly not a distance coach. I just wanted to reply to DG's post that this looks like a simple, but effective program. Something to implement and then build on. I recommended it to Micah as he progresses through his rehab. I am writing this one down so I can follow it after my knee surgery. One question, DG: do you think 8 min mile avg was a little slow for the 4K?? I would think 7:30 is easily obtainable for a 15 year old which would put her under 19 minutes. I can't think of any 15 year old girls that can't run circles around me and I could avg 8 for 2 1/2 miles!! Very Happy Very Happy

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone her age it is probably best to give her a goal that I can be realatively sure she can accomplish (if that is possible over the internet). Better to tell her to shoot for 20 minutes and have her run 19:00 than to tell to shoot for 19 minutes and have her hit 20:00. Adults deal better with not reaching goals than young people do, were much more used to it Confused
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I just noticed that her time was previously 22:00 so 20:00 would definitely be a good time to shoot for. I hope we continue to get feedback on this one.

Paul
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere (article by Tim O'Roarke maybe) that a 10-15% increase for a HS boy each year is standard. With most of that improvement coming because of growth and maturaty. I don't think that the results for girls can be as predictable considering how inconsistant girls are between 10th and 12th grade.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate to admit it, that is true. Based solely on my observations I'd say that between 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 girls (what was it about 80% of all stats being made up on the spot?) actually have a fall off in performance somwhere between their freshman and junior year. Although many of these athletes do regroup and go on to become excellent college runners.

Although there are still plenty of girls that the 10-15% improvement does still apply to and is a relistic goal.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree wholeheartedly. With young HS girls, the only thing predictable is just how unpredictable their progress will be. As puberty does its damage, it becomes a crapshoot if the freshmen standouts will be world beaters or also-rans 2-3 years later.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also seen some girls "run through" the 9th-11th grade slump. In my experience they were very tough mentally and they ran a lot of miles. It is also possible that their running might have slowed down their physical maturing process. With some of these runners they "developed" emediatly after they stopped running (ended their careers, not at the end of a run.)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be. The only hint of a pattern that I've seen is that the super skinny (and frail) freshmen girls tend to drop off the pace as they develop, whereas the more moderately built types continue improving and develop that skinnier runner build later on. I wouldn't be surprised if that's largely indicative of eating habits.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think that the biggest indicator of whether a girl will have that slow down do to development is genetics. The skinny girls that are slightly bulit because that is just the way they will always be (in other words they simply never develope much) tend to progress steadily. While girls that are thin because they haven't developed generally have that hick up between there freshman and junior years. Although I have also noticed that the girls that are a little less skinny tend to progress at a little more even rate than the girls that are thin as freshman and then develope over the next couple of years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: