Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Foreign athletes in America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Foreign athletes in America Reply with quote

I've been monitoring the NBA draft via internet, the Rocket draft Yao Ming from China #1 and Bostjan Nachbar from Slovenia with their other first round pick.

Now I don't want to go off on a rant here but... I don't know about Nachbar but Yao doesn't speak a lick of english. With all the comunication that is needed during a basketball game how wise is it to choose two foreign players in the first round. On a slightly different subject why is it that player in every pro sport except baseball speak english? The hockey players speak english, foreign basketball players learn to speak it, why doesn't Nomo, Byung Hung Kym, or Ray Ordonez learn to speak english. Well Ordonez I understand, if I abandoned my wife and children in a communist third world country and then got a new wife and had a child inside of a year, I might not learn the language of the main stream media either.

Any thoughts?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to get me started on immigration in general. DG, where did Dunleavy go in the draft??
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunleavy went third to Golden State, behind Ming and Jay Williams.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing with regards to on (and off) court communication and team chemistry. The latter being a Blazers fan and all... Smile Up until maybe last year, it seemed like a few teams pooled most of the international players, possibly a safety-in-numbers-group-bonding sort of approach. Now, I can't pronounce a large number of the names in the first round of the draft... Good thing many of them are considerate enough to have easy two syllable names. Smile

Remember when the US used to dominate other countries in international basketball? Then, our ameteurs started falling behind the pros from abroad, so our pros were sent in to right the ship. How long till our pros have their hands full? Will the top Americans avoid international teams for fear of the embarassment that would come with our big boys losing?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: