Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runnergal22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi, I am a 15 year old female that runs cross country and track. I am quite competitive and am currently running 55 MPW building my cross country base. Now, I am 5' 6" and weigh 100 pounds. I am NOTTTT anorexic or bullimic or anything like that but lately my parents have been telling me that I HAVE to gain weight. I don't eat any junk food, but I eat a lot of healthy food. (whole weat bread, fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, rice, pasta, yogurt) My parents think I could IMPROVE performance if I gained like 5-10 pounds, but I really think they have no clue what they are talking about. I just think that would make it harder to run and carry the extra weight. I'll do anything to improve performance, so should I just keep eating enough healthy food and maintain my current weight, which seems to be working or do you think my times would improve if I gained weight? sorry this was long. I could really appreciate some advice. thanks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the light side for your height, but I'm not sure there's really an optimal level to be at so long as you're healthy and strong (strength to weight ratio).

I would continue doing what you have done thus far and maybe add a bit of weight work to build some muscle. I'm guessing your body isn't the type to bulk up easily, so you can add some strength without much weight, possibly even making your parents happy in the process. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dan's advise is good. Have you had a recent growth spurt?? 5'6" is getting to be about average for 15, these days. Plus there are some biological and physiological questions best discussed with your doctor that aren't anywhere near the scope of this website. Considering the demands of cross country, and the amount of weekly mileage you are putting in, the addition of some weight training for all your major muscle groups, including your legs, would be excellent. Also consider adding some of the new high tech energy drinks like Accelerade and Endurox R4 before and after your workouts to ensure that you are meeting your energy requirements.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't sound much different from most of the 15 year old girls that run that much that I know. I had a teammate in high school who was a monster (Footlocker All-American, 10:18 in the 3200) she was 5'9" and weighed about 110 when she was healthy. So long as you are eating three good meals a day I think you are going to be okay. Although gaining 5 pounds probably wouldn't hurt you, you don't sound abnormal for most of the competitive girls your age that are running as muh as you are. You might want to ask your coach about it. Whatever you do don't loose any wieght. And good going with the mileage, I think that is a very good amount for someone looking to be at the top in high school. Just try to put in as much of it as possible on soft surfaces and in good shoes.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the surfaces and shoes considering the mileage, weight, age, and wear and tear on the joints. One thing about weighing a 100 lbs, you won't have to worry about breaking down the midsole in a couple of months!! Smile
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: