Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprints 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administering the forums is no extra work on my part (after the initial setup, that is). At some point, given the more regular contributors of late, it might even be worth looking into setting up a few of you as moderators to share such duties.

I've also noticed the tendency to drift slightly off topic... Smile But, I'm as guilty of that as anyone and I prefer to let the discussions run their course as much as possible. If separate forums help in that respect, then that's a good thing. So long as it doesn't discourage cross-forum (event discipline) participation...

Site traffic hasn't picked up, but forum traffic definitely has.

Unless I get any Nay votes, I'll go ahead and set up the new forums and do the necessary rearranging.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it will be fun .... Looking forward to the new set up ...
SuperSprinter
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang man, those are sum real great times...
I hope i get that fast
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back to topic here ... After all this IS the sprint forum .. And the US championships just eneded !!!

Well the showdown came and went and Mo is still the King of the 100 meters ... Yes it was close at the end but a) that is the nature of the race AND b) Mo controlled the race from gun to tape ... Montogomery is good but he has no hope of being the King of hte 100 meters as unfortunately for him, he and Mo are the same age !!!

The 200 meters on the other hand is still looking for someone to take charge ... I thought Ramon Clay looked decent in winning, but he wasn't dominant throught the weekend ... Darvis Patton ran himself into world contention in my opinion even though he did not win the final .. The one negative thing that I did when I picked my fantasy team was drop Bernard Williams in favor of Shawn Crawford !!! Crawford looks horrible ... And I think Bernard suffered from having NOT run the 100 (I used tofind that the 100 got me ready to run the 200) ..

Allvin Harrison looked reallly really good in the 400 ... Almost MJ like ... He made the same kind of move during the 3rd 100 of the race and separated himself from the rest of the field ...

The one sad tihng is that Mo said he does not plan on running in the world cup ... Sad not so much for the 100 but for the 4x1 ... Only chance this year to hit a big one ... And I think the US has athe personnel to go under the record !!!!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, why didn't Justin Gaitlin run?? I never heard any news. In fact, there were a number of college runners who didn't run. Did their coaches advise them against it or are the World Univ Games coming up?? I haven't seen the summer scedule.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any of the meet. Any idea what's wrong with Crawford, comparatively from the start of the season to now? I can't say I expected a lot of him in the 200 (I selected him in the 100 but not the 200), but I figured he'd at least be among the top few.

Some people are calling Montgomery the second best sprinter ever. Seeing as how there's still debate whether Greene warrants "best ever" acclaim at this point in his career, I think that might be slightly overstating things...

Paul, Gatlin is in limbo right now over a recent drug positive (prescription medication).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I htink it is a little premature to try ot determine Montgomery's place in hstory period !!! He's only had a season plus a couple of races at THIS level ... He has been around as long as Mo - actually a litle longer as he was a Junior phenom ... He's made a couple of National teams and run in the 97' worlds (3rd), and 01' worlds (2nd) ... Didn't make the '99 Worlds team or the '00 Olympic squad ...And until last year his biggest moment of visibility was dropping the baton in the 4x1 relay in '97 !!!!

He's starting to remind me of MJ - let him tell it everything that happened in his career was golden, yet there is almost as much negative that happened as well !!!! Tim is good ... No doubt about it ... But he needs to establish himself as consistent ... He was that last year ... His times have been a little erratic this sesason ... And at some point he has got to beat Mo ... When it matters ... And he has to do it more than one time ...

Now Shawn Crawford ... I don't know what his problem is .. I heard he has no coach ... Does it himself ... So there ya have it !!! Wish I'd known that earlier Crying or Very sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawford's got no coach? Yikes, that's a risky proposition at any level, let alone elite.

I've got some time on my hands... Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the skinny I heard ... I guess the other guys think he is a freak of some sort ... Maybe weird is a better use of words ... Something akin to the sprints own Gabe Jennings ... Which might explain why he was predicting going sub 19 after his altitude 1984 !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that altitude killed off a few brain cells.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I htink the cells were gone before he went to altitude ... Crying or Very sad
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good time to be a UK sprint fan...Chambers just beat Mo Greene for the second time in three days, in Sheffield this afternoon following the narrow win in Oslo.

Chambers ran 9.95w (2.7m/s wind) with Mark-Lewis Francis second in 9.97w, Jason Gardener third in 10.11w, Bernard Williams fourth in 10.15w and Mo Greene back in fifth in 10.24w. He was left at the start by the two Brits either side of him and was never in the race. Chambers and MLF looked very, very good.

Chambers has been training over the winter in San Francisco with Valeriy Borzov's old coach and the improvement in his style is dramatic. He has always been powerful but is now relaxed and controlled as well.

Mo made no excuses for losing but was plainly tired and not yet ready to race. I suspect that the good form of Chambers in particular surprised him a little. He'll be back. For now though, Chambers looks the best in the world.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are some very solid times. Cool conditions, presumably?

Any chance of a USA vs. Britain 4x100 coming together any time this season? The way things are shaping up, that could be a heck of a race.

Does Borzov's coach coach anyone else these days?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the meet on Eurosport this morning ... The Brits were very prepared all the way around today ... Mo never had a shot ... And I got the impression that he was shocked ... Not to take away from Dwain and MLF, casue they were ON today, but I think Mo has spent too much time thinkin about Tim ... Not worrying about him, but focusing on him as his main rival ... Dwain proved his worth today ...

I did get to see him at Oslo (taped the meet) ... He looks much different this year ... Much more under control ... Reminded me of Hasley Crawford in his prime ...

I've not checked out the start lists yet for Paris ... Are any of the Brits entered ??? Or are they going to take a more relaxed approach to the season and not try to run everything ... That may cost Mo some this year - being entered in every major race ... Time will tell ......
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast times in Rome Friday night. Results here:

http://www.iaaf.org/GP02/GLERoma/Results/byevent.html

9.89 for Mo, 9.94 for Timmy, 10.00 for Bernie, others quick too

19.99 for Frankie

10.89 for Marion

12.51 for Gail, but only a narrow win.

UK national champs this weekend... European selection up for grabs (previous trials were for English Commonwealth Games Team)

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: