Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
injury

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefboba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: injury Reply with quote

i i use to run a 21;41 for the 5k in my frosh yr,but i have been injured now since 3 months,i broke my ankle, and the doctor said i can't run until ending of july and i am trying to train for xc for sophomore year, to run a 19:00 for the 5k.is this possible?how can i do it?
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Hit the Weights Reply with quote

Dear Chief: Somewhere else on this message board (possibly several places, since I'm such a loud mouth), I outlined what I did for several months, while suffering from multiple stress fractures.

Essentially what you do are sufficient continuous 1/2 squats and or step-ups to raise your pulse into the working level, and keep it there for a minimum of 5 minutes. I worked up, over time, to well over an hour at a stretch.

It's more interesting, I think, and more psychologically beneficial, if you do these at the track.

In addition, it might be useful to perform leg-curls and leg-extension on a machine...not real heavy, but certainly enough to give you a good feeling of resistance. Use half as much weight for the curls as you use for extensions.

Perform the exercises in relatively high reps (15 or so) and lots of sets...alternate curls and extension, with no rest. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do to maintain aerobic fitness without any leg strain is the arm cycle machine that a lot of gyms and training rooms have. You can also do a lot of pool workouts with minimal impact.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Arm Cycle Machine Reply with quote

Dan, I'm not familiar with the arm cycle machine - could you discribe it please.

From the name, I would assume it uses the upper body. If yes, that seems like it might be a problem. Getting enough stimulation to raise your heart rate sufficiently to achieve aerobic benefit, usually requires the use of the largest muscle groups, which, as you know, are in the lower body.

Swimming, though often prescribed as a recovery exercise, has a tendancy to shorten the calf muscles - this may prove to be a problem for runners. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com[url][/url]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sit upright in a chair-like thing, with pedals in front of you that can be turned either direction with your arms. The resistance can be varied. There's actually a name for it (not sure if it's a brand or the type of machine) -- I'm thinking Cybex, but I'm not sure about that...

15-20 minutes of that is actually an incredible aerobic workout. The reason being the small muscle groups are not accustomed to that sort of sustained, load bearing activity. Throw out all preconceptions about how to get an aerobic workout, try it, and you'll see. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: I actually made one Reply with quote

Years ago I actually cobbled something like that together from a kids bike. Good, if awkward muscular workout. But aerobic - wellllll Confused Maybe. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com[url][/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: