Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
RACE REPORT!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: RACE REPORT!!!! Reply with quote

Sizzling Summer 5K in Bluffton, SC

I pulled out of the driveway at 5:30 this morning with a steaming mug of coffee and Return of the Grievous Angel in the CD player. I drove straight into the sunrise toward the heart of the South Carolina low country and arrived at the Bluffton Oyster Factory at 7:00. We were right on the salt marshes in the shade of huge live oak trees dripping spanish moss. It was right out of The Great Santini or Prince of Tides.

They throw the oyster shells out beside the docks and the buzzards were out in force for breakfast. It was hard to tell if there were more of them or more of us present. I just knew I wasn't going to sit in one place for too long.

At 8:00 @55 of us lined up for the start and most of them seemed to know each other. The course was through the residential streets of old Bluffton past 100 year old houses and more of those magnificent live oaks. It was also flat as a truck pressed pheasant.

I started at a relaxed pace hoping to just break 9:00 a mile. I reached the first mile marker at 8:29 and felt fine. I maintained the same effort and went through the second mile at 8:18. My legs felt good and there was no pain in the formerly afflicted foot so even though I was feeling the pace I carefully pushed on. I ran mile three in 8:08 and finished with a time of 25:16 on a course that actually measured 3.05 rather than 3.1.

I am extremely happy with the time and the fact that it was painfree. Very Happy

A guy from Maryland who was vacationing in the area won in 16:21. He was da man.

And finally, due to the fact that it was a small race and I am an old fart I finished 2nd in my age group!!! Laughing
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been eagerly awaiting your Race report. Job well done!! "truck pressed pheasant" ?? That's a new one for me, I may have to use it myself.
What are your plans now??
Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another race on the same course in Bluffton on July 20. There is also a 5K in downtown Savannah at 8:00 PM on July 19. So the plans are to run in one of those. And maybe take the pace sub 8. We'll just have to see which one fits the schedule better.
Micah, racing at last! Very Happy
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the temperature in Bluffton and what does the temperature get to at 8 PM in Savannah?? Are you a good warm weather runner?? Even though I am on the heavy side myself (185-190), I like the warmer weather up to 80 or so, because it feels better to my joints.
What time does the sun go down where you're at?? Up here in Oregon it is light past 9:30 now.
Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning in Bluffton it was about 70 at the start and all those live oaks kept 80% of the course in the shade. But on July 20 it could just as easily be 80 degrees for the start.

For the 8:00 PM race it could be anywhere between 80 and 90. It will still be light then. Either way I go it will be a hot race. In this part of the country you just about have to adapt to the warm weather or you don't run.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This voiceless bystander isn't sure whether to be more impressed with your successful return to racing or the poetic recap. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the fun of doing it is being able to tell about it afterwards. And I'm just getting started. Wink
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, what's your training like now and how has your recovery been after the meet. There's just a month out 'til your next run. I got word from my ortopedist yesterday that I have a small minicus tear in my right knee. But it appears to be stablized, so I'm not going have it surgically repaired yet until it either gets worse or if I can't increase my training without significant pain. Did my 10 440's today. Most had to be at 2 min or under.
Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stress fracture foot is feeling fine. However, there is a pain around the other ankle and achilles that is strong for the first 200 or so yards of a run then goes away. I eased back into running this week with a 2, 3, and 4 miler. I may cut back to 2 a run until I see whats going on with the ankle.

Is it ok for you to run at all with the tear? I certainly wouldn't increase anything until it was completely healed. Good luck.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a minor tear of the miniscus that won't heal on its own, surgery might not be a bad option (rather than making it worse in the meantime). We had a sprinter tear his miniscus during the football season. I believe he had surgery done around Thanksgiving and was able to resume running by mid-December. Other than the occasional ache, he was able to sprint and do most of the drills with everyone else when we started up in late January, so the recovery was rather quick and complete.

Quote:
there is a pain around the other ankle and achilles that is strong for the first 200 or so yards of a run then goes away.

I get that most every day...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knee is quite sore today after the 400's yesterday. Miniscus tears do not heal themselves, normally, so I think I will have to opt for surgery. If I can get it done soon enough, I could be back on the roads by Fall. My doctor cautioned me about lateral motion sports (basketball, raquetball) but as ever runner knows, any type of trail running is going to have a lateral component to it because of the uneven terrain. And I love running at Tryon Creek State Park.

Micah, do you think you have been favoring the one leg and now the other leg is hurting because of the added workload??

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly I had two athletes have minscus surgery this year. Both were jogging in a month running without any serious restrictions in 6-7 weeks. So it isn't the end of the world, just an uncomfortable bump in the road.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love running at Tryon Creek State Park.

In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if we've crossed paths (literally and figuratively). My parents live a block from Tryon, and I've run in there hundreds of times. Unanimously considered the best "6 mile and under" running to be found anywhere!

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan are you serious about the ankle pain? Yesterday I ran 4 and the pain went away in the first half mile but today I feel an "uncomfortableness" on the inside of that ankle and in the achilles. Does yours do that?

Paul, the first time I noticed it was on an afternoon run after wearing an ankle holster all day. (It's ok, I'm a cop.) I wore an ankle holster some years ago with no problem. But this one just is not comfortable and I haven't worn it since. The problem is that I had to wear it VERY tight and I was thinking that might have caused the aggravation. But that was 3 weeks ago and I'm still having the aggravation.

Suggestions welcomed. Right now I am treating it with an excellent white zinfandel.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be exactly the same as what I have, but most days I get a strange pressure/cramped feeling around my ankles and top of the feet right at the start of the run. It builds with each step until about 50m in my foot goes completely limp for a step (usually one foot right after the other), sometimes causing me to nearly collapse. After that, they never bother me. Doesn't matter what shoes I wear or how I lace them up. Very strange, and probably quite amusing to watch. Smile

The sad thing is that, considering my injury history, I consider that too minor to regard as anything but normal...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: