Training Talk
Resting between workouts

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has a theory about the Runner's World editors that they're trying to protect all their old records by making people lazy and unfit.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be on to something there. I can see the headlines now

"ROOT OF REGRESSION IN AMERICAN DISTANCE RUNNING REVEALED, RW'S EDITORS EXPOSED!!!!"
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling people what they want to here sells more magazines than telling the truth.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then maybe RRN should publish an article called "Running Magazines Exposed" Smile

I somehow ended up with a fairly recent issue of Running Times and all the headlines are things like "18 Weeks to your best Marathon" and "23 Energy Boosts". IMO many magazines loose there credability right on the front page. I've never read RRN though, I should get an issue.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even some of my HS runners have made some comments about the articles in Runner's World.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that doesn't surprise me since I make comments about them and I'm in high school Smile
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I typed that post rather quickly. I meant to say that Some of my HS athletes have been saying some negative things about the articles in Runner's World.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I assumed that was what you meant.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old high school coach still thinks that Joggers Digest, is a bible of the sport. Of coarse he also hasn't had a descent distance runner since 1997 either. I try and I try to help him but he insists in following those horrible run your best on less than 20 miles a week, programs. He's affraid of burning his athletes out. All the while at York high school Joe Newton has kids running more on the first two days of practice their senior year (47) than most high school kids will ever put in, in an entire week of training in their high school careers. And people wonder why York is the best high school cross country program in the nation year after year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's scary to think that coaches are getting their information from Runner's World. Sad I can't comprehend why anyone would think of it being anything but a general fitness magazine catering to the masses... The anger at RW is misplaced, in my opinion -- it should be directed at those who take it to be something it isn't intended as (the editors have said publicly that they view it as a general fitness resource, not for competitive racers).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that much of the anger should be directed at coaches that use the wrong source material as a base for their training programs, how ever I have never actually heard or read anything stating that RW should be considered a fittness magazine for the masses. (I figured that out for myself) And you can bet that if I haven't heard it 90% of the misguieded individuals using it haven't heard it either. And with all the outlandish claims (ie Run the best race of your life in four weeks) it seems that they are marketing towards people that want to be competitive.
I would simply like to see them endource programs that could work for someone that isn't running their first ever 5k. To talk more in depth about the training programs of the best in the world, or America at least. And for goodness sake put a real athlete on the cover of the magazine every once in a while. At least pay lip service to the magazines name or change the title to the more appropriate Jogger's Monthly.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how ever I have never actually heard or read anything stating that RW should be considered a fittness magazine for the masses.

Well, you don't expect them to advertise the fact heavily, do you? That would be some rather poor marketing... It has been admitted freely on the likes of the t-and-f list, and I believe I saw something from Amby Burfoot on RW online.

Quote:
And with all the outlandish claims (ie Run the best race of your life in four weeks) it seems that they are marketing towards people that want to be competitive.

Well, they're marketing toward people that want to run, and most people that want to do something want to do it reasonably well. How is that any different than a beauty magazine claiming on the cover, "10 ways to great skin in a week?" They're in the business of selling magazines, which means catering to the target audience. If RW wrote magazines the way you want them to, their subscriber base would probably go down by more than 50%.

Quote:
At least pay lip service to the magazines name or change the title to the more appropriate Jogger's Monthly.

Well, it is Runner's World, not Racer's World... I don't see anything inconsistent or hypocritical about the name.

If people are not intelligent enough to see through the marketing and understand the depth of what they are reading, then they aren't intelligent enough to be coaching impressionable youngsters, plain and simple.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying to spread the message.

RUNNER'S WORLD SHOULDN'T BE READ BY ANYONE THAT IS COACHING ATHLETES THAT WANT TO BE GOOD!!!!!

training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Rest Days Reply with quote

Rest day is just that - no running. Do something else that's non-impact. I generally have an easy day (45 minutes) after my hard day (2 1/2 to 3 hours), and follow that with a day off (weight training).

Depending on your ability to recover, I recommend running either five or six days a week. The important thing is, unless you're injured, do not take off running two days in a row. Mike www.training2run.com
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Runner's World Reply with quote

Unlike Runner's World, I recommend carbohydrate depletion and loading for marathoners, and developed a relatively comfortable procedure.

Runner's World gave me static, and said it wasn't worth the bother for a the slight (2% to 3%) performance improvement.

Who are they kidding. Just about any 3:03:00 marathoner would give his eye-teeth to break 3 hours, and two percent would do it. Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: