FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Ambitous h.s. 800 runner seeking advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I run for fun NY
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an 800 meter runner in my junior year of highschool. I compete in Section One in New York State, which produces many of the fastest 800 times in the state. I have the State qualifier meet in about three weeks. I'm currently consistantly running 2:02-2:03, and although its a long shot, I'd like to take a shot at going to the state championships. The fastest runner in my section runs a 1:53, but if I get second place and meet the qualifying standard of 1:57, I get to go. Most other top times in Section One are currently right at 1:57. I know that cutting five to six seconds off of my time in just a month seems like a lot, but last year as a sophmore I could only run a 2:12 to 2:14 for the majority of the season, and jumped down to a 2:04 in my last four races. Anyway, I guess my question would be what do you think the best method of peaking my performance for the big race would be? I've been doing mostly 600 and 800 meter intervals during the season for workouts, with a few 400 interval days thrown in. (I'd also like to cut down my :54 400 time too, although that is not my top priority) Opposite those workout days I do long runs of about 8 to 10 miles, sometimes going easy, sometimes pushing myself to about a 6:30/mile pace. My winter coach had me doing 12x400 with about a three or four minute rest at a 60 to 65 second pace, but my 1000 meter time of 2:43 stayed right where it was the whole season. Please help me. I am very hardworking and willing to do whatever kind of workout it takes to get results.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered running the 1500? Wink Seriously, that is what your training is directly geared toward, based on what you've shared. To run a 1:57, you'll probably need to be in about 52.0 shape for 400m, so I wouldn't rule out emphasizing speed development (which it sounds like you haven't done much of during the season) over the next few weeks. That has the added advantage of also leading to a sharper peak.

Best of luck! Smile

Dan

p.s. Unless of course, you're a super endurance athlete and can run near max 400m speed for two laps..

[ This Message was edited by: Dan on 2002-05-11 20:53 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is simple trust you coaches. I actually like what they're doing, assuming that they're going to start putting in more speed very soon. Besides the best thing you can do to really cut time is to race smart. If you're shooting for a 1:57 then you need to go out in about 57-58 and then come back with a 59-60. The best way to run an 800 usually is with about a 1-2 second postitive split. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: