Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Basketball running training programs? anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 1999 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i play competitive basketball and i need an off season training program that will reduce my bodyfat, improve speed

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Johnny']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny,

From what I have seen, basketball conditioning generally consists largely of explosive strength work, such as bounding and running stairs. This sort of work (along with just plain running fast) will improve your speed. However, I'd think you'd be more concerned with quickness than speed, so drills and bounding are probably your best bet.

As far as reducing bodyfat, many people believe you do this by running long and slow, i.e. aerobic exercise. But there's plenty of evidence that suggests a better method is high intensity exercise, such as fast intervals. This is fortunate, as aerobic work won't help your basketball too much. Look over some of the 100/200 workouts at the bottom of the training page. Any of those should help you improve speed. If you want to focus more on the bodyfat, look more to the 400-1500 workouts, as they will provide a better mix of speed endurance.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to do cardio 5 times a week at high intensity like running for 10 minutes as fast as i can...would this burn fat or should cardio be extended to 15-20 minutes so that carbs are depleted and your using fat as fuel?
ever heard of twin labs diet fuel?
what you think>?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'johnny']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 1999 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run all-out for 10 minutes, maybe you're in the wrong sport. Wink Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with your approach. Any quality running will burn fat in the long run, but some methods will work better than others.

The research I have read and believe in states that the metabolism can stay at its highest level for up to 17 hours following high-intensity exercise. Conventional wisdom says that LSD (long slow distance) burns the most calories because you are at it for more time. But this overlooks the fact that the calories burned per minute are fewer and that the metabolism slows down sooner than with high-intensity. So this brings up the question of what qualifies as high-intensity.

If you can truly hold the intensity for 10 minutes, then that is fine. But I doubt it's possible. Instead, I'd suggest braking it down to something along the lines of Pre's famous 30/40 workouts. He would do laps, alternating 200's between 30 and 40 seconds. I believe 3.5 miles was the longest he could hold this brutal workout. Obviously, you would want to try a slower pace, maybe something like 35/45 or 40/50. It's a lot tougher than it sounds. This would accomplish intensity, speed, endurance, and pace change. Not bad for one workout! Since you're not training for a specific running event, you have the advantage of not having to carefully select interval distances. So, experiment and have fun.

As far as diet fuels, I wouldn't mess with them. Much of that stuff seems to be a gimick, although some of it probably has merit.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well look the thing is i really hate running
no offense but i would rather play full court basketball and get my cardio from there
unfortunately i cant play that much basketball in the off season ..i also am on a university swim team..:>
so anyways i want to have like runs that last at the most 15 minutes..so what should my heart rate be at and what would be best..im 18..so my max is 202 ?

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny,

So the truth comes out, a non-runner that hates running? Smile Wonders never cease. I can't remember how many times my basketball and soccer friends in high school asked me how I could stand running (as opposed to sitting?). Oh well.

That is largely why I recommended some of the intervals above. They'll do more for what you want than just about anything else, and won't be as dull as just running for 15 minutes.

Honestly, I've never been much of a believer in the 220 minus your age max heart rate calculation. I used to be able to consistently get mine over 200 (I'm pretty sure I was counting right; other people checked, too) with little more than a warmup, and I didn't feel like I was working hard! Some people swear by heart rate monitors and exact recovery periods, but I think that takes the joy and freedom out of running. Run till you're exhausted, rest, and do it again. What could be simpler?

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 1999 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehehheeh anyways...
i find that my lower back hurts when i run
i get a knot and i think its cause i hold a cd player in one hand and keep my back arched too much..what else could it be
my shoes are good..

do you know anything that can help with jumping power..plyometrics.?
i work out 3 days on a 4 days off cycle
i do this..
day 1 ...bench 6 sets..pyramid..
bent over rows..4 sets 4-8
military press 4 sets of 4-8
shrugs 4 sets 4-8
day 2
squat 3 sets of 20 reppers
deadlift 2 sets of 20 reppers
day 3
calve raise 4 *12
forearm curls 4*10
bicep curls 6*6
abs 3 *50
4 days off
anything that i should add for up's?
thanks

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 1999 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, almost let a message slip through the cracks unanswered... Smile I sometimes get that achy feeling in the lower back on long uphills. It usually goes away with a quick stretch. If you think running with a cd player is causing it, try running without it for a week and see if that changes anything.

As far as workouts for leaping ability, I'm the worst person in the world to ask! It might as well be a national holiday when I leave the floor. That's why I stick to the perimeter.

Seriously, any explosive leg exercises should help you. These would include calf raises, bounding, lunges, box jumps, etc.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an ex-NAIA Div. I competitive basketball player. What I would recommend more than any training or boring information is to get out and run hills alone, or preferrably tag along with a local running club. Running hills is the best way to improve explosiveness to your jumping ability and quickness. Add weight training and a little speed work, and you are invincible. Try running out your door for 3-5 miles, and note your times. After my first successful basketball season, I decided to take time off, and almost got cut in September. I advise you to run, play, and have fun in your summer.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'J Dawg']

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a competitive NAIA Div. I former basketball player, I will tell you that long runs, by yourself or preferrably with others, dramatically increases explosiveness and athleticism. Add weight training and a little speed work, and you are invincible. In college, after my first successfull basketball season, I decided to take some time off and enjoy myself. I only made a fool of myself in September and almost got thrown off the team. Stay true to yourself, enjoy your summer, and stay strong, but injury free.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Stevie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are J Dawg and Stevie the same person?

Interesting that you found long runs to help explosiveness. My understanding is that that would increase slow twitch muscle relative to fast twitch and decrease explosiveness. I wonder if it's the added endurance that made you feel stronger?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: