Training Talk
American Male Distance Runners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm .. Thought I was always the critical one .. I'm going to make this obtuse statement: Webb and Ritz did very little and they did a ton !! How's that ??

As far as their times and impact on the sport as a whole they did little .. Their times were pedestrian by world standards .. and they are average in comparison to their contemporaries ..

But in America !!! What they did meant everything to Americans .. Because of the perception / dream / hope of what they can do .. As DG says we've been so down here that any glimmer of hope looks good .. And that is sad ..

I am still cautious however, as the road they have to travel is very long .. Where they are and where they need ot be ot be competitive on the world scene are "miles" apart - pun intended .. I just hope that when they get there - cause I do think they will - the bar is still in the same place ..
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to agree with DG and Conway on this one.

Dan, sometimes you could make a revival preacher cuss. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, you can't do that... I'm pretty sure Conway and I are saying the same thing! Smile

My point is that outside the general populace's interest in our sport, Webb and Ritzenheim really did not accomplish much of note. They are being compared to 30 year old marks, yet those marks were actually internationally competitive back then... Sure, it's great we have people back to that level, but that level is meaningless.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't meaningless if it is a springboard that leads to bigger and better results and brings some fans to the sport. That is what I am hoping for.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more.

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t its gotta happen fast becasue the rest of the world isn't going to sit and wait .. More like ist and kick ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you've basically saying their marks are not meaningful by themselves, but carry meaning because they could lead to meaningful marks by Webb/Ritz or others down the road? In which case, I ask again, why should I get excited about those marks for what they are now?

Dan

[ This Message was edited by: Dan on 2002-05-02 19:39 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not excited about the marks, bu tby th eexcitement that the general populace has developed .. The marks are menaingless .. They won't garner medals let alone win a race .. But the excitement that has been generated could induce others to work to try to achieve some level of success .. As I tried to say in a post above (that somehow got squiggled up) It better happen quickly beforre the bar is raised much higher ..

As for Web and Ritz .. I feel for them becasue they are expected to do something they may never do .. When Ryun and Pre were doing their thing they were hwat I call "man childs" - their times were almost the best in the world already .. Today those times are barely national class .. If Webb runs 3:32 he'll still be on the outside looking in !! Just as others have been .. He'll have ot get to 3:28 to really be in the hunt .. That's 10 seconds from where he has been ..

If you want to compare Webb and his percentage of the WR at 1500 to say 100 meter sprinters his 3:38 is the equivalent of a 10.36 sprinter - plenty of those coming out of high school .. Odds of them getting to the WR - almost nil .. Odds of them becoming competitive - say 10.00 range - better but still slim .. Not trying to sound negative, just explaining my cautious optimism ..

I'm more excited about WEbb and Ritz for what they may spawn as opposed to what they may do ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: