Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Help me Please!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any good exercizes to strenghten your inner thighs and your knees that I could do at home. I would really appreciate any suggetions!

Oh and does anyone know why Natasha Roetter didn't run at Nationals? Is she injured?

Well Thanks!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue who that athlete is...

You can work the inner thighs by getting some surgical tubing, a bike tube, or something similarly stretchy, and anchoring it to a wall, leg of a table or chair, etc. Stand far enough from where it is anchored so that you can loop your foot through it and pull that leg toward your other leg. The further away you stand, the more resistance you can create.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good way to work your inner thighs is by doing squats with your feet wider than hips width. Make sure and keep your weight on your heels, and keep your knees from moving out past your toes. You can use some wieght if you like or you can do these only useing body wieght. Another way I like to work inner thighs is with a balance board, you can find them in some sporting goods stores and in most fitness supply catalogs. Just balancing on them really works your inner thighs but if you try to rock gently or do squats on them it is an awesome exercise for your inner thighs.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the simplest exercise (I'm surprised I forgot to mention it previously) that will make the inner thighs burn is lunges. Make sure you get a good extension, keeping your lead knee over the foot. If you aren't used to lunges, you should feel it the next morning. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tjh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude... you know Roetter? She is dang nasty. Watched her kick my rear at Bay State Invi. and the other Franklin Park races. Why she didn't run, I have no idea. Maybe Lexington was sick of having her win all the time.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come again?

Dan
tjh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natasha Roetter from Lexington, Mass. She's fast. Was running 17:20 and faster 5Ks for XC by herself. That is rather impressive.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly up to date on women's XC times, but I don't think that a 17:20 5k is considered that good.... ?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now that we know who she is, I still don't understand why she entered this discussion...

17:20 is quite good for NAIA, JC, and NCAA DIII, but I believe is somewhat average for DI and DII.

Dan
tjh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 17:20 in high school... you might not be impressed, but I sure as heck am.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said they aren't impressed, you've just been too selective with your information offered (like h.s. vs. college and how the heck her name entered this conversation) for anyone to have anything to go on. Sad

Dan
tjh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have no idea how she got in here... ask the guy who started this thread
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I can't believe I missed that! Or missed that I had already questioned that at the start of the thread... Sad

Dan
Claudia Paz
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about help topics (back to the questions and off this random topic) ...
I'm looking to buy a good monitor to track my speed and distance while I run- has anyone bought or used the new Nike SDM? I'm wondering what anyone has to say about it. What other stuff should I be worried about tracking (sorry, I am beginner in the running field, but am really interested in it and I am taking it very seriously).
Thanks...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with it and don't have any recommendations that apply directly to your question, but I will say that I don't believe in monitors (heart rate, pace, etc.) for running, especially for beginning runners. Puts the emphasis on the wrong things. You should be focusing on just running, leaving the technical stuff out of the picture until your body is ready to be pushed harder.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: