Distance Den
Half Marathon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the doctor yesterday concerning my stress fracture and new orthotics. I'll be walking for an hour every other day this week and the next. Then I'll start mixing in a couple of minutes of running until I'm able to run slowly for the full hour. Hopefully that will be around the first of June and then racing by August.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be doing a 5k on the track this weekend it's my first race in a little less than a year. It is going to be pretty ugly, I don't expect to break 17 minutes which is terrible for me. I have really only been training for two weeks now (I've been running for a while but not training), I got in 50 miles last week but that's a pretty low amount, usually if I'm not getting at least 70 I'm just messing around. But we all have to start, or in my case restart, somewhere.

[ This Message was edited by: Distance_Guru on 2002-03-27 14:25 ]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, we sure are a bunch of old farts! Smile

Good luck in your upcoming race.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just thought id let you know how i got on in my 10k race today. I did 39:29 which i think is ok because it was windy and i didnt really know what to aim for as im just getting back, i went of a bit to fast at 2k my time was 6:56 so i died in the last 3k of the race.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had my race this weekend. I went 17:00 the conditions were perfect, but I wasn't so much racing as I was running a time trail, I just don't have the fitness to do anything other than just hit splits.

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, not only are we old farts, we are pitiful old farts! Everette Hosack competed in the weight throw at the Masters Indoor T&F National Championships last month. He is 99 years old!!! Several 80 plus runners ran the 3K!!! I think I have a new set of heros.
Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice racing, fellas. Smile

99? Bah, wake me up when he reaches triple digits...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 99 year old that can throw a weight at all is doing pretty good in my opinion.

I ended up going in a 3k fun run today at the last moment and ran an unexpected 10:29. As for longer runs, I'm getting ready for a 10k race on Sunday. I havn't run any 10k's for a while, so this run will kind of set my standard, but I'd like to run it in around 43mins. I really don't know what my ability is though.

The track season has just started out so I'll be doing a 1500m on Saturday (the day before my 10k Smile) and I'm going for a sub 5 min. Towards the end of the season I'd like to be running in the 4:40 - 4:50 area.

[ This Message was edited by: graeme on 2002-04-24 22:45 ]
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi just thought id ask how everyones training and racing is going ive just started training again after a month off due to a chest infection and laziness. so hows everyone elses running going?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still running regularly, still not seeing much improvement...

Dan
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love this topic. I could talk for hours...but it's a bulletin board so I'll shoot for terse. Let's see, I started off the year great. I was super fit in February after a good winter routine. Then I got hit with turf toe which sidelined me. I switched to the bike for two months, managing to get in about thirty miles of running in April, while covering 200 between the mtb and road miles. This month I've already done fifty running and the toe feels good (thanks to bextra, mostly, for the recovery). I wasn't sure what my fitness level was until this past Tuesday night when I did my first track workout. I thought I was pretty slow at this point, however, eighty percent of my miles this month have been pushing the baby jogger with my 5 1/2 month old girl cheering me on from the driver's seat. Long story short, I did eight 400s at an average pace of ninety. The last one I nailed at 82. I'm very happy, not being a greyhound, or young--I weigh 240 lbs, I'm 6'4 and turned 39 on Monday--these times are right on for me.

That wasn't short or sweet, was it?
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing quite well Wink

I had a meet last weekend and managed to run a 4:51 1500m and a 10:34 3000m breaking my PR in both races. I have another meet this weekend, so hopefully I can lower those times again. I'm also gonna be doing steeplechase for my first time (2000m).

btw, does anybody have an idea of what a good 2000m S/C time is, or even better, something that would be roughly equivilant to a 4:51 1500m? Too bad the perfomance calculator doesn't include steeplechase.
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you what, I'm going over to watch the Oregon Track Classic tomorrow afternoon. I'll clock Boulami through 2k and let you know what a decent time is... Wink
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, great Very Happy
I have a feeling that my time won't be as fast though Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to both of you. Smile

For the 3k steeple, the general consensus is to add 30-40 seconds to yoru open 3k time to get a rough estimate, erring toward the higher end for less experienced steeplers. For a 2k steeple, I suppose adding 30 seconds to what you can run for 2k would provide a fairly conservative prediction.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: