Half Marathon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im running a half marathon on march 17th and i am wondering what time i should be looking at doing. Ive never raced further than 10k before, and have only been back training for about two weeks (after three months without running) with my longest run being for an hour so far. Last week i done 21 miles which will increase to 30 and then 40 in the next two weeks then an easy week before the race. So what time do you think may be possible?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun, Without knowing what your 10K time and your recent training times have been it is impossible to predict a time for you. With the amount of training you have been doing though this old warhorse recommends that you take it VERY easy. Start the race feeling like you are going too slow and don't make any adjustments until at least half way. In fact, with no more training than you have done why not put the race off until you have more training under your belt and then try another one? Progressing from 21 to 30 to 40 miles a week that fast is asking for injury. But if you do try it...good luck!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do take a shot at it, I would guess 20 seconds per mile slower than your current 10k pace would be a reasonable goal. You may want to start out at closer to 30 seconds per mile slower though, to make sure you don't run out of gas with the distance being doubled...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two weeks to go now to the half marathon and my training is going ok i ran for 1hr and 30mins yesterday the furthest ive ever ran i think i covered about 11-12miles in that time, I was knackered for the rest of the day though. Im hoping to do about 1hr 35mins in the actual race. just thought id keep you updated on how my running is going. how is everyone elses training and running going?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all holding our collective breath... Smile

My running is going well, although I still haven't managed to get myself doing consistent workouts. Being out at the track for 2 hours a day coaching somehow is not conducive to also doing a workout... Hopefully, but the end of the month I'll be revved back up and getting 2 or 3 good workouts in a week.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current training? I am confined to walking on a treadmill on doctor's orders. I have my orthotics now and they are supposed to help with the stress fractures. Next week I will start gradually working in some runnning and hopefully back to racing by the fall.
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 3 days to go now and i think im ready ive done all the training i can do just easy jogs tonight and on saturday and then im ready but with a 9am start time its going to be hard to wake up and get ready to race. i will let you know how i get on.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. Current training is on a stairmaster getting my conditioning up before heading out on the roads or traack .. Wouldn't want to have someone have to bring me back home Smile .. Good luck to you in your half marathon ..
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all just thought id let you know how i got on in my half marathon i got round in 1:29:56 which im quite pleased about as before that id only ever raced upto 10k and have only been back training for 4 weeks. My legs ache today though and i feel tired.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Always nice when you can beat your goal time by 5+ minutes. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT!!!! A very good race Shaun. It looks like you are the top racer of this bunch right now. What is next?
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i might do a 10K a week today(next monday) but the race im training for at the moment is a 5 mile race on May 30th im hoping to break 29mins my current pr is 29.49 a few years ago but im only now starting to train seriously before the half marathon training what i did for 4 weeks i have never consistently averaged over 10 miles per week so i definately have room for improvement.

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun Fox on 2002-03-25 07:50 ]
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a ton of room for improvement. You doing any tempos, 400s, fartlek, etc?
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just starting to do speed work now and im gonna do a fartlek session tonight. I havnt got a clue what time im capable of doing in a 5 mile race but i think i will break 29mins. Im also hoping to break 17mins for a 5k my current pr is 17.34 2 years ago again with no more than 10miles a week training.
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how is everyone else's training/racing going? has anyone else raced lately?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: