FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
training for a half marathon feb 10 and am sick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
basketballgirl
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if Dan and the rest can help me out here. I a ex ciau basketball player that is extremly fit. I usually run 3 times a week but nothing past 6 or 8 miles. I would cross train spin, biking, etc I was in my second week of triaing when I got sick. I have bronchitis and am going to be out unitl this wenesday aprox. I would like to know if anyone know of a 3 week half marathon guide. I need some help. Is this possible. I have never done a half marathon. My highest run is 8 miles 2 or 3 times. Help thank you
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of variables to consider. First and foremost:

YOU CAN'T RUN IT FAST!!!

If you are content to run to finish instead of competing for an award then it is possible. But based on your training I can't see any way you can run it fast. Exercise is very specific and no matter how much cross training you have done running is the absolute key to prepare for running a race, especially one of 13.1 miles.

Now for a very important question. Were those 6-8 mile training runs being done right before you got sick? If so then it is possible for you to gradually work those up to the 10-12 mile range right before the race. If you weren't doing those runs recently then I would recommend postponing your half marathon debut.

If you decide to go ahead I would recommend some pre planned walking breaks of 60-90 seconds at each water table.

The main question is how much of a quality race do you want it to be? If you are looking to be competitive then set your sights on a later race so you have more training time. If you just want to finish then plan on a run/walk strategy based on how well you can recover from your current sickness.

Good luck and above all, look at the totality of the circumstances and do the smart thing.
Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main question is why a half marathon? Have you done any other races before? Considering your sports background and training distance, a 10k would seem a much better fit for you right now. I consider it unwise to head into a race not having run at least that far in training on a somewhat regular basis. If you can't do it in training, how are you going to do it in a race that will invariably be at a faster pace?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan. Alot of runner are facinated with the Marathon and 1/2 marathon and it leads to a disasterous race. Why do you want to run a 1/2 in 3 weeks?

I urge people (who are in shape) to take 2 months (at least) to prepare for the 1/2 marathon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: